Colonoscopy while on Vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Colonoscopy while on Vanco

Postby cryingsilly » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am

I know it has been mentioned here that being on Vanco can alter the results of a colonoscopy. Does anyone know if this information is sited anywhere?

My GI is insisting on a scope, but is wanting to do it while I am on Vanco 250X4.

I asked him what he is looking for and he said. I am concerned that we are not dealing with c. difficile here. You have only had two positive stool tests.

I had a positive stool test the first time I was dx, before beginning vanco. Was on vanco and had to go to high dose 500x4 (which he believes is an indication of it not being c. diff, that the original dose of 125 or 250 did not work properly)

I was then well for 10 days after finishing first round of vanco. I then relapsed. Took a stool test in right away and it was positive. Back on Vanco 500x4. I have found that no matter what dose I am on, it takes about 5 days for my low grade temp to abate. But it does abate.
He feels this is reason to indiciate it is not c. difficile.

Sort of feelin like I am in the twilight zone here.

Asking for a referral to different GI, insurance can be very tricky.

Meantime, I am still on the slow taper he prescribed when I relapsed.

Was just wondering if there were any documents by physicians stating that the scope can be effected by the vanco as he obviously doesnt think so.

Was so rude to me yesterday. Insulted when I asked him questions. I am still steaming.

Thanks for anyhelp

Darlene

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Darlene,
I am not a doctor but having symptoms, testing positive and responding to vanco regardless of the doze would defiantly make me think that it's c-diff. Sounds like your doctor doesn't know much about c-diff. I would definitely seek another opinion.
When I had colonoscopy done I was on flagyl and of cource it showed no signs of c-diff. Eight days later after stopping flagyl I relapsed. From my experience I wouldn't do colonoscopy while on medication.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Darlene,
I have to echo what puremess said about getting another doc. Run don't walk away from your nasty one! I know it can take time with insurance issues; can you get a referral from your primary care doc? That's how I got an ID doc, after my GI doc gave up on me.

Too many docs think they know everything and are rude if you question them. Those are exactly the kinds of docs you don't want in dealing with a difficult disease like cdiff. Actually, those are the docs you never want for any reason!

I have read here before that having a colonoscopy on vanco will give false results, so I agree with puremess on that too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:16 pm

I had a colonscopy while on Vanco. (at Mayo yet). Everything looked "A OK" & I was diagnosed with IBS. Not so. When I returned home & went off Vanco. (per instructions), I became ill again & the culture was pos. Doc. at Mayo (l993) knew I was on Vanco.

See FAQ-Colonscopies.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for your replies. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any "official" document that would show my physician he is wrong.

It seems you can't get these guys to listen to you unless its already been studied by another physician.

Thanks again and if anyone thinks of some where that they read the statement that one should be off vanco for a certain amount of time before colonoscopy, please let me know.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 pm

Darlene,
So a "search" on "colonscopies" on the site. Can't possibly remember where the info. is "officially."

Several people have experienced the same thing. Your GI should know that meds. can negate findings, but many are still unaware re. C. diff.

Jayne
Regular User

Possible waste of your time & money?

Postby Jayne » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:28 am

This is such a tricky position to be in. You need their help but you also need to be sure they know what they're doing. The previous experiences posted seem to indicate there is a high probability that doing the scope while on antibiotics will prove to be inconclusive. I know my co-pay for my scope was $500, so that may factor into your decision also (especially if the results won't be accurate). I know it's a major pain to pursue finding another GI guy but c.diff is the kind of thing that can really drag on & be tricky to treat, so you need a doctor who is experienced with c.diff & also with communicating to his patients. I hope it works out.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”