Xifaxan Users or Past Users -

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
nikki0294
Contributor

Xifaxan Users or Past Users -

Postby nikki0294 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 pm

My doctor has me going on xifaxan in about 2 weeks following 6 wks of high dose vanco (2000mg) for pseudomembrane colitis c.diff. I have researched the xifaxan on this site. I am suppose to be on it for 2 wks. I understand that it kills the c.diff but leaves the good flora alone. How is my flora suppose to grow in 2wks after being killed off for so long? Also, when you were on it did you stools stay like they were on the vanco? I am praying and hoping for a miracle that this works because if not then it is back to the stool transplant again. Has anyone been on the vanco high dose this long and been successfully cured right after with the xifaxan?? Hope so!!
Thanks
Chris

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:39 am

Hi,Chris. Your flora will continue you to replenish even after you finish the Xifaxan. So it will actually have longer than 2 weeks to grow. A normal person can replenish their flora in about 2-3 weeks or so I've been told.I used DanActive and Activia one a day. Also, ask about taking the Pepto Bismol after. I was put on 8 tablets/day for 12 weeks out.It has anti C-diff properties.I would also ask about changing you diet. High fiber/high roughage. I was told that would allow for optimal bacteria growth.

Good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:31 am

Nikki,
I took 10 days of Xifaxin after 5 and a half month of pulsing vanco. My stools were the same as on vanco. Although as of April I tested possitive, I don't have severe symptoms. I am not on any meds since January. I guess I can say that Xifaxin worked. Good luck. Hopefully it will work for you!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”