Relapse

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Relapse

Postby cryingsilly » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:02 pm

I relapsed 8 days after stopping vanco. Had a great 8 days though!

Took sample in Thursday am as I had low grade temp for two days, loose stool, and generally feeling sick. Lab said, should be done in a few hours, call your physician. Called that afternoon, still no results, called the lab, they said still pending.

Was getting sicker by the hour. Called the lab again at 10pm thursday night. She said, still pending. I told her the situation so she went to physically check. Came back and said results were in, call GI in am for them. I told her, am getting sicker by the hour, and will be bringing in another sample in the early morning. She said.."umm I cant tell you anything, but I am going to call your physician."

Got a call from oncall in practice about 10 mintues later, and about 20 minutes after that was at walgreens picking up $2000.00 worth of vanco. thank goodness for insurance.

Here is my question, its been about 36 hours. Am feeling somewhat better, but the D is still there, if not a touch worse. Probably be a bit before that resloves? I know it can take several days, just looking for some reassurance I guess. Seems to be taking longer than the first time.

Also.. is it unusual to start me back on 500X4? (not complaining). He said 10 days at that dose, then a gradual taper pulse dosing schedule.

So.. here I am.. back in the "saddle" again. :(

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:56 am

cryingsilly,
Good for you for being proactive & continuing to call lab. Sorry you relapsed.

No, not unusual to start at that dosage. Vanco. usually takes 3 to 4 days to "kick in."

Unfortunately, some of us had to really work to get well - tapering different ways, pulsing, (see FAQ-Pulsing), different probiotics, etc.

You will get well eventually.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:17 am

Sorry cryingsilly that you relapsed. I always took 500x4 following every relapse and then tapered down after about 1-2 weeks as well. I would think pretty soon at that dose things should be resolving very soon.It usually took me about 24 hours, sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less.

Sound like your Dr. has a good tapering plan. I'd at least feel confident that you are in good hands.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this taper will end you struggles.

Wishing you well.

Christina

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 am

Thank you.

I just seem to be getting well slower than I did the first time. Perhaps thats just how it is though. Had some low grade temps yesterday, but so far today, so good.

I started the Vanco Thursday night at 10:30 pm, Its now Sunday at 9:30 am and I am still gurgling. There is some improvement though, so its not as if its not working at all. My D went away immediately when I began Vanco last time, this time.. not so much. A decrease in number per day and cramping, but still not like before. Who knows.

The GI that was on call was MUCH more of a personal match for me than the one I am currently seeing so I am going to ask if I can see him from now on.

It takes me a long time to get well I think too, because of the Lupus. Oh and Bobbie, the Lupus diagnosis was pretty sure as I also developed the facial rash and joint swelling along with the lymph node changes and fevers. I have been sick off and on for many years without a proper diagnosis, and Lupus runs in my family. I have other family members with Reynaud's syndrome. That can be pretty painful and it can co-exist with many auto immune disorders. I had never heard that it could raise your ANA titer though.

Thanks both for the reply.

Darlene

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:46 am

crying silly,
when I relapsed it took a while to get it under control. I mean a long while. so if things are looking a little better that is good and its taking more time. I'm sorry to hear you relapsed. C diff is a strange disease it does what it wants when it wants and it has your full attention. I hope you see a difference soon. Get better. It sounds like your doctor knows what he/she is doing.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am

Diane,
That makes me feel a bit better. I feel better than I did before I started taking the Vanco...but I still have a 99 temp off and on.

I am only having one BM a day and the ab pain is much better. Less gurgling.. although its still talking alot, especially at night.

I guess I just get freaked out when I read that the fever should be gone in 24-48 hours.

I am not even sure if most docs would consider 99 a fever.

Thanks for the imput diane.

Darlene

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Your WELCOME!!! I know how upsetting c diff is and it gets the best of us sometimes. 1 bm that is so good..lol..... I had like 20-30 for over a year. Your going to get better. It is taking longer than we all would like when we have that dumb thing. I never thought it would go away and everyone kept telling me it would! It finally did after 3 years.. I have been c diff free for 181 days!!!! It was a long road but I finally got there.. Keep your chin up it will go away..

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”