Relapse with no D.?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Relapse with no D.?

Postby cryingsilly » Tue May 29, 2007 3:01 pm

I am currently taking vanco 500X4, have been taking that dose for 14 days. Prior to that I took 125X4 for 2 days and 250X4 for 10 days.

So.. total of 25 days vanco.

Today I have a 99.4 temp. Some pain just under my ribs on each side. But no D.

I am also dealing with lupus, which can cause me to get low grade temps for no real reason at all.

GI is setting up a colonoscopy. Will call me back today with the time.

Am concerned that I am having a resurge in symptoms WHILE on the high dose of Vanco.

Can one have a relapse of symptoms but no D?

Thanks so much

Darlene

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm

I suppose anything is possible w/ C-diff but most Dr.'s won't retreat a relapse unless you are having frank diarrhea, even if you still test positive. Hopefully, the colonoscopy will shed some light on the situation.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Tue May 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Christina.

My case was sort of odd to begin with as I didnt ever have TONS of frank D. But there was lots of other junk. Plus I tested positive on one out of two tests. They only test for toxin A here. Crazy.

Christina have you ever just had a temp, but it clears up on its own with this?

Did you have temps with your relapses, or low grade relapses?

Thanks so much for your help.

Darlene

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm

I never had a temp. or a high WBC w/c-diff at any point. The only real internal issue I had was a rapid heart beat , in the 120's. But even now I still get that occasionally.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:25 pm

With my worst relapse I had a temp just below 101, plus nausea and lots of D. I didn't take my temp with any other relapses. I figured I'd go to the ER if it got over 101, but it didn't, thankfully.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Just like Christina I've never had a temp or major D when I relaspsed at anytime. My only symptons were unusual fatigue and more active bowels. Hang in there...everybody's body reacts differently...

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

what about

Postby TheVike » Tue May 29, 2007 10:35 pm

malaise or nausea?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 30, 2007 1:50 am

Cryingsilly,

Afraid MT doesn't have a huge choice in docs. I did have luck there for my mother, however, with a 2nd doc. after the lst one almost killed her.

Why did you go back to MT after living in FL? Were you able to find a job? MT used to have so much going for it. They need to attract more young people but don't have many of job opportunities.

A colonscopy might be a good idea if you haven't had one already. Ask about biopsies since they can tell a lot. You should be off Vanco. for 10 to 14 days (l4 best) before scope to get best results. Vanco. can negate findings, & everything can look normal. (This happened to me at Mayo.)

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed May 30, 2007 11:20 am

Bobbie,

I came back to MT because my family is here. I missed my mom and my sister. My dad and brothers too, but the mom, sis thing was what really got me.

Its a beautiful town. With beautiful Flathead Lake.. but I do feel a bit like I have stepped back in time as far as medical care.

That being said, in Florida they didnt diagnose my Lupus. Was told by neuro's and all that I must have anxiety.. and to .. "here, take this xanax and zoloft"

Could have just been timing though, my ANA titer finally came back elevated while I was here.

I just wanna get well and enjoy the spring and summer before winter comes again! : )

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm

cryingsilly,
I've tested positive for Lupus for years but have something called Reynaud's syndrome that can affect test results. Have some of the symptoms but after many unproductive & negative visits to an immunologist (supposdedly "famous & one of the best") decided to "let it ride."

I'd have titers checked again. Medical people do make mistakes.

Am sure you will eventually recover from C. diff. Almost everyone does. You might call Harborview & ask to talk to Dr. Surawitz. Many people in MT go to Seattle for medical care since it isn't that great in some places in MT.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:35 pm

TheVike,
I think you're asking me if I had nausea or malaise with my horrid relapse? I didn't throw up, but kept sitting on the toilet with D thinking what if both happened simultaneously? And thinking this might happen any minute. Finally decided I'd empty the wastebasket and use it.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu May 31, 2007 12:24 pm

Fire7163,

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I never had a fever or high WBC but did have very frequent watery and bloody diarrhea w/severe cramping. Usually about 20 -30 bouts w/ every relapse until they got under control w/ the Vanco.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:45 am

Christina:

I guess I am one of the odd ones as I've never had bloody or extreme D with my relapses, never nausea. ...had 4. I just get a low fever under 100 and unusal fatigue, and the bowels get unusually active 5-10 per day. The Doc's found the C-Diff using the broad net approach, as nothing sympton wise was making sense.The Doc's were actually happy when I tested positive for the 1st time.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”