CT SCAN or COLON Scope?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
TheVike
Long Time Contributor

CT SCAN or COLON Scope?

Postby TheVike » Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 am

Which is better benefits conclusive test etc.... CT Scan w/contrast and IV naturally (upper lower abdominal) "normal" so why a colon scope especially if your D has went away and you are feeling better? I don t necessarily want to risk the damage to my colon obviously already tender of course. Any comments?

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu May 24, 2007 9:03 am

The colonoscopy can tell much more than a CT scan can. I had about 3-4 CT scans during active C-diff. All they can really tell is whether or not your colon is inflamed. I also had two colonoscopies and a sigmoidoscopy plus 2 endoscopies as well. My last colonoscopy was done post C-diff. They can take biopsy during the procedure which can tell them quite a bit as to what if anything is going on. It's also a good way to check and see how things are healing up if you are in fact done with C-diff. I would definitely recommend having it done. It should not bother your insides at all.

Connie
Regular Contributor

Postby Connie » Thu May 24, 2007 10:56 am

What Christina said. A CT scan is an x-ray--it only reveals shapes and doesn't show anything about the surface appearance of the colonic mucosa. However, if you only had one bout of c. diff, no other symptoms, and you're well or nearly well, I'm not sure why they would want to scope. You could ask what they're looking for.
Thomas's Mom

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Thanks Connie...

Postby TheVike » Thu May 24, 2007 1:48 pm

didn t really say anything just wanted to be on the safe side for anyting potentially serious! I balked at it sa having improved somewhat and don t need the strress for going thru it right now with a trip abroad coming up in ten days.... If i regress and continue to suffer with my stomach i ll have it done when i return in July. I am afraid of like everyomne the BIG C. Please know I abused alcohol heavily for a good twenty years I am 45 but I fear I have damaged my entire system stomach etc beyond repair.... I am afraid of the Big C basically...as long as I feel better and have NO blood (which ihaven t except very light once or twice) and from roids before the doctor feels it is sqafe to wait think so?
PS By the way havent had a drink whatsoever since July 29th last year YIIPPPPEEEEEE.... I knew it was not good for me killin me and eventually woulf if I did not stop you know?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”