Are symptoms worse with relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Are symptoms worse with relapse?

Postby cryingsilly » Wed May 23, 2007 12:45 pm

Another question for those with relapsing c. diff.

Were your relapsing episodes of c. diff worse than your initial occurance?

I read in the article on treatment that relapses tend to have higher abdominal pain, fever and leukocytis.

Has your experience shown this to be true?

As I have mentioned before, I am concerned because I already battle with Lupus and any infection brings me WAY down.

I read also in the article on treatment that those who developed first infection during the spring have a higher chance for relapse as well as do women. Strange isnt it? Wonder why spring would make a difference.

Thank you so much
Darlene

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed May 23, 2007 5:23 pm

I had some relapses that were worse than my initial infection and some that were somewhat mild. My worst was when I relapsed while on Xifaxan as it took longer for the Vanco to kick it out probably because I had the Xifaxan in my system and my strain was resistant to it. That was maybe my 4th or 5th relapse. Also, I had a real bad one while trying to get a positive to get to Minnesota for the stool transfer. They wouldn't take me unless I had a recent positive so I had to take myself off of Vanco and force myself to relapse. I had very large quantities of blood that time.that was probably relapse 36 or so. Not once the whole time I had C-diff did I ever have a fever or a high WBC's. Lots of stomach pain, though.
I never read anything about the spring. I do know though that every relapse sets you up for another relapse. The more relapses you have the harder it is to stop the cycle.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:39 pm

My last relapse was the worst, but I think that was because they made me wait 3 days for a positive test result. Those were 3 horrid days, with D every 10-30 minutes day and night. Before that I hadn't had to wait so long after a relapse started before taking vanco or Flagyl, except during the month before I was first diagnosed. I asked the same question, whether relapses continue to get worse, because that would be really scary. I was told that if I could start vanco ASAP after the bad D began, the relapse wouldn't be so bad. So I made an agreement with my doc that I would take a sample, then start vanco right away. Then I didn't have any more relapses, hurray.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”