Question on Pulse Dosing

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Question on Pulse Dosing

Postby cryingsilly » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any information about treating the first episode of C. Diff with a taper?

Tomorow is my last dose of vanco 500 4xdaily. My symptoms are under control but by no means normal. I have been on the vanco at this dosage for 10 days, with 19 days total on vano (the other 9 days at varying lower doses)

It seems to me that it would make sense to slowly take you off the vanco rather than cold turkey, even for the first episode.

Has anyone ended the treatment this way?

Does anyone know of any studies to back it up?

Thank you so very much for all of your help and support.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 23, 2007 12:50 am

Darlene,
Many docs. taper you off Vancocin. Examples: from 4 X a day to 3 X a day for a week, then down to 2 X a day for another week, then l a day for another week. Or some even taper over a longer period.

Pulsing is another method. Lauren, Nancy, & Diane recovered by pulsing. See FAQ-Pulsing.

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 am

Darlene

I have had 2 previous rounds of vanco, taking 4x250 mg for 14 days and then cold turkey and sorry to say it didn't work for me. My 3rd round was 4x250 daily for 14 days, then 2x250 for 7 days then 1x250 for every 2 days for a week, that failed also. Hard to tell what will work for some people but it apparently isn't working for me. Now I am using a taper/pulse method.
Started 3x250 for 7 days but fell ill on the 7th day so now using 4x250 for 10 days then praying I feel better so I can start the taper/pulse which will last for 2 months at least. Good luck and prayers.

Jan

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed May 23, 2007 9:13 am

The taper I used was : 125mg QID for 7 days
125mg BID for 7 days
125mg QD for days
125mg QOD for 7 days
125mg every 3 days for 14 days

I was on Vanco 4X/day prior to tapering for 3 months but only because I in the midst of switching Dr.'s. When I was down to 125mg QOD I added in 4-250's of Florastor/day and 2 Culturelle/day. Unfortunately, I relapsed and tested positive 6 days after finishing the taper.

Usually, a taper is used after a second relapse. Conservative treatment is recommended following the first relapse using a 10-14 day regime of Vanco or Flagyl.

Read below the first line under the treatment section.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2002/11_02/joyce3.htm

Remember to always check with your Dr. and follow his/her own advice regardless. Good luck.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 am

Thank you for your replies.

I am going to speak to my physician today. It just makes sense to me, to taper even on the first round. Especially when I am having to fight this as well as Lupus.

Thank you again so much for your responses.

Darlene

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”