Is it the Vanco or the C diff causing the aches and weakness

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jamie1222
New User

Is it the Vanco or the C diff causing the aches and weakness

Postby jamie1222 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 pm

I am new to this and was hospitalized for 4 days with c-diff. At first they thought I have diverticulitis and put me on antibiotics for 2 days until they found the c-diff. I wonder if that made it worse?? I came home and started the vanco and Flagyl and immediately became achy and weak and slept constantly for a week. The I went to the dr. and we decided that I go off the antibiotics and 2 days later the C-diff came back. But I felt great for those 2 days and went I started the Vanco the achy feeling and weakness came back. I could hardly function. Has anyone ever experienced this from the Vanco? I am so puzzled because the posts talk about achy from c-Diff and nothing about the side effects of the Vanco. Thanks for any info you can give me and I'll keep looking at the posts to find something. Now I'm just waiting to see if it comes back
jamie tebbutt

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Tue May 15, 2007 11:04 am

You know Jamie, Im not sure if the aches and fatigue come from the c-diff or the vanco. I know that I just had my vanco dose upped from 225 4X day to 500 4Xday and I feel absolutley horrible. Weak, tired and exhausted. When I was on 225 I didnt feel this bad.

I think its probably safe to say that it effects everyone a little bit different.

I have had a bad reaction to Flagyl so am not prescribed that, but are you taking the Vanco now with the Flagyl? I know that Flagyl is notorious for making you feel exhausted and weak.

Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Darlene

jamie1222
New User

Postby jamie1222 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks Darlene for the reply. I had been taking Flagyl and Vanco together and then Vanco alone and still the same awful symptoms but I'll look at the dose. Maybe it was strong and and I could talk to my dr. about it. I've been off everything for 2 days and already feel better. Just hope the C-diff doesn't come back! Jamie
jamie tebbutt

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:29 pm

jamie,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Check out Dr. Borody's article and the FAQ section. Antibiotics certainly could have contributed to your cdiff.

When I took Flagyl and vanco together I was so sick that I couldn't even eat. All I could do was drink Gatorade. I felt better on vanco alone, but as Darlene says, we are all different. Most people (about 80%) recover after one or two rounds of Flagyl or vanco, so I really hope you are done. Good luck.

jamie1222
New User

Postby jamie1222 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks for the info. I did ask my dr. about taking the antibiotics in the hospital before they diagnosed the c.diff and he said one was flagyl and the other one I hadn't heard of but he said of course the flagyl wouldn't of contributed to c.diff and he didn't think the other one would of either. They think I got it as the dr. writes in this forum through the mouth or ingesting the bacteria. And that I will never know where of course. I feel like sterlizing everything! I still have leg muscle weakness but am better. Thanks again
jamie tebbutt

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Fatigue

Postby fire7163 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Jamie:
My faitgue ( the punies) seem to come and go at will, as does the foggy ( not crisp) vision issues. My GI attributes all of these to the C-diff. I have days when I go on shift not thinking I can make it through the entire shift and end up pushing myself on the treadmill and feel great. It's just like riding a never ending roller coaster. As for my case, I had a OJI involving a major lacreation and fresh cow manure. The Doc's hit me with so many Antibiotics, both oral and IV that it caused optical migraines. My digestive system has never totally recovered... had surgery, lost 10 inches and have had too many relaspes. As my GI says hang in there it'll get better

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”