finished vancomycin last Sat,saw gi doc yesterday...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
arlyed
New User

finished vancomycin last Sat,saw gi doc yesterday...

Postby arlyed » Sat May 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm pretty new to the c-diff game. I've been treated 2x with flagyl and once with vanco 125mg 4x/day for 2 weeks. I finished the vanco last Sat. and dropped a stool spec. of at the lab on Wed. I saw my gi doc yesterday- the stool was neg. and she said that because the stool was neg I no longer had to be concerned about having c-diff. (cured!?) But today I am having some of the same symptoms that heralded my previous 2 relapses,ie: rectal burning/pain,itching,loose stool,and mild lower abd cramping. Should I request another stool culture? if so, when? I really would like to avoid another full-blown episode, if that's what's really going on. I feel like I'm being neurotic about this, but am having the symptoms nonetheless. Is it typical to have a neg stool culture after treatment then to become symptomatic in less than a week?
Any advice would be welcome - I'm starting to feel like I'm crazy!
Thanks
arlyed

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 13, 2007 2:38 am

aryled,
Have you read Announcement: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST in the first forum & Dr. Borody's & Dr. McDonald's articles?

Since I am not a doc., I can't tell you whether you have C. diff. or not, but you can have have a relapse after being off Vanco. or Flagyl any time between one day off med. to up to 3 or 4 months. (Even longer, but this is rare.)

You could have IBS -- symptoms are similar. Read FAQ-Three Day Rule & IBS.

I would ask to be retested. Best results are 10 to 14 (14 best) days off Vanco. or Flagyl. See FAQ-Tests.

C. diff. makes everyone a little crazy.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Mon May 14, 2007 7:09 pm

I would not rely on only 1 negative stool test. If you are symptomatic, you should get 3 of them, done on 3 separate days. Your dose was low (125 mg)
I would re-treat with 250 QID or 500 MG QID with Flagyl too, and treat for longer than 14 days...do like 6 weeks or something and take florastor and probiotics.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 am

I had many instances where I was tested after treatment and got a negative test only to have a positive one a few days later. It is very common. If you think you are relapsing and need to be treated again the usual next step would be to taper or pulse (read under treatments). You could also possibly try the Xifaxan Chaser if your Dr. agrees which is 2 weeks of Vanco followed by 2 weeks of Xifaxan at 1,200mg/day. It works for some not all, but it's worth giving it a shot. Also, as whitepine said maybe add in Florastor and/or Culturelle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Christina

arlyed
New User

Postby arlyed » Wed May 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks for all of your responses!

Bobbie-you were right I didn't read Dr. Borody's article closely enough-sorry- I guess I was just a little freaked out.

Today, at work, my GI doc stopped to ask how I was feeling and I let her know how my weekend had been. She's scheduling me for a colonoscopy
(soon I hope).That is one of the advantages to working in a surgical day care unit- I wish you all had the same opportunity.
So I'll let you know how it goes. Again thanks for all your help and support.! And hope you are all doing well.
arlyed

arlyed
New User

Postby arlyed » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:01 am

Had my colonoscopy WED- everything looks normal, except for scattered diverticulum. No further c-diff symptoms-my GI doc said she thought that my post-vanco symptoms were probably residual colitis from the c-diff.
Looks like I'm on the mend!!
Thanks for all your support and encouragement, and hope you are all feeeling better soon!!
Arlye

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am

arlyed,
That is great news. You were off Vanco. at least 10 to 14 days, right?

Doc. probably right - post C. diff. IBS. See FAQ-IBS. About l out of 5 develop it after C. diff. (Including me.) It't not fun, & symptoms can mimic those of C. diff., but it's better than C. diff.!

Since you work are in the medical field, pls. help us "spread the word" about C. diff. Let us knw how you are doing & pls. post occasionally to support others.

Again, good news!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”