More questions about symptoms

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

More questions about symptoms

Postby cryingsilly » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 am

Hello everyone... I am so sorry to be asking more questions. I am learning more and more about this awful infection, but still am in uncharted waters.

I have been on the vanco 125x4 for 72 hours, then 250X4 for about 2.5 days. I was feeling a big improvement after the first couple days of 250, but now am haveing a couple more loose bms and the still smell like cdiff.

Here are my questions:
1. Does the vanco cause an odor to the bms?

2. Is it pretty normal to go up and down throughout treatment as long as the biggest curve is up?

3. Is it rare for cdiff, at this point when the vanco has provided some improvement, to become life threatening?

Thank you all so much for your time and patience.

You are all in my prayers.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Darlene,
Perhaps you might want to discuss longer dosages of Vanco. with your doc. Many, however, don't return to "normal" for some time -- even while on Vanco. -- or being off it for awhile once the C. diff. is "gone."

I don't believe it is the Vanco. that causes the "smell" but the C. diff. Ask your doc. about this, however, & read some of the articles written by C. diff. experts, esp. those by Dr. Borody & Dr. McDonald.

I doubt if C. diff. is life-threatening at this point since you have responded to Vanco. Check with your doc., however.

We call C. diff. the WWW disease -- watch, wait, & worry. You are no different than others on the site. It is an upsetting & nervewracking disease.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Fri May 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Bobbie,
Thank you for your reply. Could you explain what you mean by longer dosages of Vanco? Did you mean higher doses?

I am on day 6 of the vanco.. just feeling like I am having a bit of increase in symptoms while on it.

I checked out the FAQ Hormones and it seems if some of the links are broken. I also started my menstrual period this morning and am thinking that that could be causing the increase in symptoms.

Thank you again Bobbie.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 12, 2007 1:11 pm

cryingsilly,
I meant both higher dosages and/or a longer time on Vanco. Some are on it for several months before stopping it.

Most docs. start on 125 mg. 4X a day. Sometimes a higher dosage of 250 mg. 4X a day is necessary.

Many docs. suggest tapering or pulsing medication. Several on this site had good luck with pulsing. See FAQ-Pulsing.

If your symptoms continue to worsen, call your doc. Remember, most people are not "normal" even while on Vanco. It merely "controls" the infection while killing the C. diff. bacteria -- and unforutantely, some of the good bacteria. It has worked for many, however, and if it doesn't, there are new treatments now. (See FAQ-Treatments.)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”