Passing on the Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
joy240
New User

Passing on the Diff

Postby joy240 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm

Anyone know or seen any info out there about they % of having a baby after cdiff and the baby will then get it too?????

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 am

good question! I was wondering about that also.

Jayne
Regular User

50/50 chance?

Postby Jayne » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:06 pm

If it's a vaginal delivery-because of the close proximity there may be a higher likelyhood of explosure. C-section would mostlikey decrease the risks. The research I've read inicated that there are many cases where children have c.diff presence but are not symptomatic. With all the hands on care an infant requires after birth-there's always a chance of spreading it then too. (I'm sorry if this sounds "pessamistic"-but I'm just trying to be realistic.) Practical precations; handwashing, cautious antibiotic use, etc are our only defense for preventing the spread of c.diff.
There's no guarantee with anything we do - we just have to try our best with what we know.

D2007
Brand New Poster

Passing on c-diff

Postby D2007 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm

I was wondering if a person could pass it on to their spouse? I am not exactly sure how c-diff is passed from one to another but I was always curious to know if someone who is not being treated for c-diff can pass it on unwilling to their spouse.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:13 pm

I had c diff for over 3 years and never gave it to my spouse or kids.. My family has been healthy.. Thank goodness!!!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:25 pm

Same with me. I had C-diff for a year and a half and my husband nor my children got it. They too, are healthy and fine. Just make sure you all wash your hands a lot. In our house we still sing the Happy B-day song 2-3 times and we've developed strange habits when in public restrooms that only a C-differ would understand!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”