Vanco and probiotics?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Connie
Regular Contributor

Vanco and probiotics?

Postby Connie » Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 pm

I am wondering if anyone knows whether it is worth taking probiotics in the trough between doses while on 500mg of Vanco 4 x's/day. Hate to waste the VSL I have if Vanco just kills it all. On the other hand, I am anxious to do anything that might help beat this thing--which does not appear to be happening very fast.
Thomas's Mom

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri May 04, 2007 9:40 am

This is one of those things it seems no one agrees on. I was told not to take them until I was on 1 Vanco every other day on my taper except for the Florastor because that won't get killed off since it is a yeast not a bacteria. Some say to space the other probiotics as far away as possible from the Vanco as you can. It's really a personal decision since it's really unknown. I would think even if a little of the probiotics survived that is better than not having any at all. I always spaced them even though I was told not to take them. I figured it couldn't hurt so why not try.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”