Doc has given me Floxin but worried about C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
dontwantCDiff
New User

Doc has given me Floxin but worried about C Diff

Postby dontwantCDiff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Floxin is a is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic related to Levaquin.

I have never had C diff as far as I know, but I did have IBS for about 10 years...ending about 6 years ago.

I need to take an antibiotic due to prostatitis and Epididmytis and I explained to my doc my worries about C Difficile. I showed him the safe and unsafe sheet and he basically laughed at me.

He said that since I have never had c diff I have nothing to worry about. He prescribed Floxin saying that Bactrim or Zithromax would not do the job.

Needless to say, I have my doubts and am thinking of going to a different doc.

Does anyone have any advice?

thanks

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 pm

If you absolutely HAVE to take an antibiotic then you will need to take it. Unfortunately, Floxin is in the quinolone class of antibiotics which is most likely to cause C-diff. If you can't choose one from one of the middle of the road classes you'll have no choice. Taking an antibiotic does not mean that you will necessarily get C-diff. It's actually a bit harder than that. You have had to pick up a spore somehow either by touching an infected surface or by being around an infected person. Then you have to ingest that spore. The antibiotic may or may not then act as a trigger setting off a clinical infection.Unfortunatley, there is no way to tell whether or not in your lifetime you have picked up a spore so it is basically trial and error.
An extremely small percentage of people naturally carry C-diff in their gut flora but that percentage is very small and I honestly wouldn't worry about that.
Also, there is no correlation between IBS and acquiring C-diff. Many of us who have had C-diff wind up with IBS, though.
I have done many newspaper articles and talks about the proper uses of antibiotics and in no way should C-diff stop anyone who really needs an antibiotic from taking one. Only the unnecessary use should be frowned upon. If I was in a situation that absolutely required an antibiotic knowing my risk would be quite higher than the average person and also knowing how hard it was for me to get rid of I would still go ahead and choose the antibiotic. There are situations where it is absolutely warranted.

The only reason I may find another Dr. is only for the fact that he laughed at you, no other reason!

dontwantCDiff
New User

Postby dontwantCDiff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Thank you so very much for this post!!

I went to a regular doctor instead of my normal urologist because I already had a physical exam scheduled.

I have made an appointment with my Uro for later today to see what he thinks and what antibiotic he recommends.

If he says Cipro/Levaquin/Floxin etc... then fine I will take it. I am definitely going to ask about Bactrim and Zithromax though.

Does this sound sensible?

I know I am probably way too paranoid, but I had IBS for most of my youth and early adult years and do NOT want to ever risk getting it again...

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Both Cipro and Levaquin are in the same class as Floxin(Quinonlone). Under facts is a list of high, middle of the road, and less likely to cause C-diff antibiotics. I'd print it off and give it to the Dr.. Your narrow spectrum antibiotics are usually less likely to cause C-diff. I'm not sure if there are any for your conditions. Zithromax would be a "safer" choice and so would PenVK if it'll work for you but they can also cause C-diff. Any antibiotic can even rarely, Vancomycin or Flagyl which are both used to treat C-diff.

Here is a list and reference to antibiotics and their classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic

Good luck.

dontwantCDiff
New User

Postby dontwantCDiff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

I went to see my normal Uro and expressed my concerns and he was MUCH more supportive. He said that although fluoroquinolones were very good at penetrating nearly all tissue and would be the best, he was willing to work with me on this in light of my history with IBS. He said he considers the doctor-patient relationship "a partnership" (music to my ears).

He also said that honestly he doesn't know much about how antibiotics affect intestinal flora or stomach conditions in general, but considering how bad IBS-D can be, he understands my trepidation. He prescribed Bactrim instead.

dontwantCDiff
New User

Postby dontwantCDiff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 pm

I should now mention that unfortunately I have looked up the side-effects for Bactrim and they seem even worse than Quinolones like Cipro!

There has been some concern about its use, however, since it has been associated with both frequent mild allergic reactions and rare but serious adverse effects including Stevens-Johnson syndrome, myelosuppression, agranulocytosis, as well as severe liver damage (cholostatic hepatosis, hepatitis, liver necrosis, fulminant liver failure) and renal impairment up to acute renal failure and anuria. These side-effects are seen especially in the elderly and may be fatal. (Joint Formulary Committee, 2004)

In some countries, co-trimoxazole has been withdrawn due to these toxic effects.

Argh..[/quote]

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue May 01, 2007 9:31 am

I have a list my Dr. emailed me to go by if I ever need to take an antibiotic. I can't copy it or post it online as I don't have his permission.
It goes by the classes of antibiotics and not by the actual names therefore, you will need to look up the names of the ones under the specific categories. You can check on the link I posted previously. I think they are listed there.
The safe list includes:paranternal aminoglycosides,metronidazole(Flagyl),bacitracin, and Vancomycin.

The aminoglycosides from what I've read have pretty nasty side effects but I'd check them out.I'm not sure if you can use any.You'd have to check w/ your DR.. As far as side effects, they have to report every single thing someone felt even if only one person had that side effect. I am on a med. that can cause heart attacks and two others that can cause seizures and other really weird stuff. Also, most of my meds. contradict
one another and shouldn't be taken together but I have no choice. I'm still here and have not had any of these side effects. I wouldn't worry so
much.
If you still have concerns talk to your DR.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”