breastfeeding & Flagyl?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rika99
New User

breastfeeding & Flagyl?

Postby rika99 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 pm

I was diagnosed with C. Diff 2.5 weeks ago, after a c-section, 4 days stay in the hospital, and round of antibiotics for mastitis.

I've done one round of Flagyl (500mg/3xday/10days), and have gotten totally conflicting advice on whether or not it's safe to breastfeed. My OB said yes, and showed me a big book of drugs where flagyl was L2 (the lowest risk being L1). The lactation consultant says it's fine. However, my gastroenterologist said to pump and dump, as did my pediatrician. I compromised and breast fed my newborn 1-2 times a day on the breast, and pumped and dumped the rest (so he'd remember how to latch on).

After 3 days off the Flagyl, I'm having horrible C. Diff symptoms again, so the gastro proscribed more flagyl (250mg/4xday/14 days). I asked him about Vanco and he said he doesn't proscribe it because it's so expensive.

Has anyone breastfed on Flagyl? Is it safe? I have no idea who to listen to.

Thanks!
Erika

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue May 01, 2007 9:00 am

Hi,
I was in your shoes a year ago. I was on flagyl and vanco and was told to pump and dump on flagyl but the vanco was ok. Since there is not enough research done on either medication, I have decided not to breastfeed. But that not to say you shouldn't. Just wanted to say that some doctors say yes and some say no. That's because there is not enough evidence to prove either way. Good luck.

Elstonia
Brand New Poster

breastfeeding and flagyl

Postby Elstonia » Fri May 04, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm now on my third round of flagyl for 30 days. The doctor said it was fine for breastfeeding. However, if this round doesn't work, then I have to go on Vanco, which I was told I would have to pump and dump. I wish there weren't so many conflicting viewpoints. Puremess, can you tell me a little more about what your doctor said?

rika99
New User

Postby rika99 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:39 pm

Elstonia,

I've been doing some more asking, and getting more answers. I emailed Frank Nice, (RPh DPA Director, Neurosciences Program National Institutes of Health) on the advice of a lactation consultant at the hospital where I gave birth.

He sent me this:
"Flagyl is OK to take while breastfeeding. Breatsfeeding mothers take it all the time and continue to breastfeed. I know of breastfeeding mothers over the past 15 years who have been taking this drug while breastfeeding without any problems. Infant adverse effects are pretty much non-existent. The main concern used to be that it might cause mutagenic affects in babies. This has never ocurred or be shown, and is no longer a concern. Pumping and dumping is not necessary. The benefits and continuing to breastfeed while on Flagyl far outweigh any known risks (none)."

At this point my hesitation is mostly because from what I've read, Flagyl secretes into breastmilk at a higher rate than other drugs (most drugs are 2-5%, and flagyl is 20%), and I'm not thrilled about my son (7 weeks old) having such a prolonged exposure to antibiotics, as I'm on my second round of Flagyl, and am going to be pulsing on and off of it, so I'll be taking it for over 2 months. Urgh.

As for Vanco, from what I understand, the reason it's L1 (safest) is because it's not systemic, and therefore isn't secreted at all in breastmilk, so it's fine to breastfeed on Vanco.

But I'm hoping more people post in this section. I'm curious to hear what information other people have been getting. Taking care of a newborn while battling C. Diff is just no fun....

Erika

Elstonia
Brand New Poster

breastfeeding and flagyl

Postby Elstonia » Mon May 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Good luck everyone. Thanks for the information. I'll pass this on to my doctor.

Alexandra

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Erika,
Thx. for info. Added to FAQ-Breastfeeding.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue May 08, 2007 8:57 am

Few doctors told me not to breastfeed on flagyl but all of them said it's ok to breastfeed while on Vanco. As you can see all doctors will have their own opinion. Once again the opinions are different because there is not enough research out there to prove either way. So because of the limited information I've decided to stop breastfeeding. Just didn't want to take any risk.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”