Anyone tried Lactobacillus sporogenes Probiotic

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MaryT
Regular Contributor

Anyone tried Lactobacillus sporogenes Probiotic

Postby MaryT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:34 am

Has anyone tried this probiotic? I receive a newsletter from the Mercola Wellness Center who recommends this probiotic as being superior to other lactobacillus forms.

I was looking on the internet and found it's unique in that Lactobacillus sporogenes is a spore forming probiotic used in Japan for over twenty years. It will remain viable and healthy for years, so they have a very long shelf life and does not even require refrigeration. The spores will also pass through the stomach's acidic environment with no problem. Once in the small intestine, a spore will sporulate, meaning it will open up and grow.

I was wondering if anyone has heard ot this or tried this and if so what their experience with it was.

Thanks,

Mary

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Fri May 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Mary
I have not used it, but have read that in Japan it is part of the first line treatment for c. diff.

I am unsure how easy or difficult it is to come by here. I think I will check it out though.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 18, 2007 10:39 pm

The only one I know about that is used in the Orient is the following (from Dr. Borody's article on the site):

m. Clostridium butyricum (Myiari 588 Strain)
This is a friendly Clostridium which can live normally in the human flora, is quite safe and is available commercially in Japan, Korea and China. It interferes with the growth of CD antagonizing its multiplication. It is commonly used in Japanese hospitals to successfully prevent CD being acquired and is given to patients on admission to hospital. Little western literature is available on this probiotic

Remember, every company is "selling." I found out recently a company I had a lot of faith in for supplements (recommended by a reg. dietician ) has a "spotty" record. Check & recheck everything. Tiring but true.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”