amoxicillan

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
whitepine
Regular Contributor

antibiotics

Postby whitepine » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 pm

I just talked to a GI about antibiotics. I was told, and it makes a ton of sense, that if I ever needed antibiotics in the future, for a life threatening situation, to take them, but to be put on Vancomycin at the same time, and make sure the vancomycin is continued for 2-3 months afterwards. In addition to being on the preventive vancomycin while on antibioitcs, to take florastor 4x per day and as many probioitcs as tolerated, and then check the stool 3x in a row (3 days of loose stool) for c.diff.
All antibiotics can cause c.difficile, because they all alter bowel flora.
If you need the antibiotics, go on vancomycin at the same time.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 pm

My Gi said the same thing. How ever I have had to take two different antibiotics in the last 6 months and have been lucky so far I didnt take Vanco with it. I just feel then Im knocking my good stuff out even more taking two meds at the same time. I took my probiotic 2/day and activia with it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:12 am

whitepine,
I took Vanco. along with an antibiotic (Levaquin) when I had pneumonia in l999 -- didn't help. Also took it this November (with a Z-pak) when I had pneumonia but only for a brief time, & no C. diff. Guess every situation is different. Worth a shot, however.

By the way, how are you doing? Never did hear from doc. re. home infusions.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 am

I was told that there are two antibiotics I can never, ever take again. They are Amox. and Omnicef. I am border line w/ a heart murmur (which I believe C-diff caused) that may someday require me to take an antibiotic before dental work. If that day comes I will be a wreck although, now I guess they don't recommend it anyway but I'm sure that will be an ongoing debate in the medical community. Unfortunately, my GI Dr. does not recommend taking Vanco as a c-diff preventative so I'm SOL!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”