Probiotics use with o.oregano/GSE/Betain HCL?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Fiona
New User

Postby Fiona » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:53 pm

After having two (ineffective) courses of Flagyl for my c-difficile, I have started using a method I have seen here and on another forum - using oil of oregano, grapefruit seed oil, and Betain HCL. I have been using a probiotic with this, but am wondering how far apart taking the probiotic should be from taking the oregano/GSE/Betain should be? Or should it? Any input would be appreciated.
Fiona

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Fiona,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and the areas in FAQ that interest you – especially FAQ-Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones who recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.)

I really can't answer your question about oil of oregano. We posted info. on it in Treatments as we with do with all posts re. C. diff., but I seriously doubt if if is a "cure." If it were, not so many people would suffer from it. To my knowledge, there are no studies to back up its effectiveness -- for any disease. You might do some checking on some of the homeopathic sites like www.drweil.com. Another source is www.consumerlab.com. You have to join & pay a fee, but some info. is free.

If you try it, I'd check with your doc. first, however. I'd also call a reputable health food store & ask to talk to someone who has some knowledge about supplements. I would space the oregano as far from the probiotic as possible, however, since you said it had antibiotic powers.

Good luck. Let us know if it works for you.
Last edited by Bobbie on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiona
New User

Postby Fiona » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Hello Bobbie and thank you. My doctor is monitoring the situation, and has agreed to let me try this route, as I also have an auto-immune problem (celiac) as well, and the more intensive treatments may be even less well tolerated than the Flagyl. My first route was Cipro with Flagyl, as I had two infections - giardia and ecoli - they worked for that, but I wish I had known more about broad spectrum antibiotics such as Cipro before agreeing to Cipro, as that apparently was the trigger for c-difficile. My doctor was not surprised to see the c-difficile, but she is a little concerned with how ineffective the Flagyl has been with it - virtually no abatement of symptoms either course. I have not been able to find any study that has been made about c-difficile with oil of oregano, but it does appear to have some effectiveness against some lesser microbial and bacterial infections, in the limited information I have been able to find. My hope is that it (combined with the other two) will gradually work away at the overgrowth of the c-difficile to the point of bringing my system back to a level that the probiotics will able to have an effect. I will be over the moon delighted to add this information under success stories if it works. I can say that it currently has been easing the intensity and frequency of the symptoms, noticeably more effectively than the Flagyl has done so far, after a week of use. I know that it isn't success, but I am hopeful, as it is making work and life a bit more manageable, a small but positive step. Your site is great, and if I do run across any helpful information, I will be delighted to add it.
Thank you.
Fiona

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Fiona,
If Flagyl isn't working for you, suggest Vancocin to your doc. It is sometimes more effective than Flagyl. It's expensive so check your insurance policy. If you are not already seeing a GI or ID, I'd consult with one if your C. diff. doesn't improve soon.

Oil of oregano might be "worth a shot" -- it's been mentioned for years for other diseases -- but glad you checked with your doc.

MaryT has celiac. I'm sure will post to compare notes with you. Like you needed another health problem, right?

See FAQ-Antibiotics. Cipro has been implicated with C. diff. for many on the site altho. any antibiotic (including Flagyl - rarely) can be involved.. Also, see Media Reports -- more & more studies are urging docs. to use less broad spectrum antibiotics.

Glad the site is helpful. Feel better.

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Fiona,

I used oil of oregano (under naturopathic Dr. supervision) while I was fighting c-diff. I honestly don't know for sure whether it helped much or not - I used it during my vanco pulse dosing and for some time after. My pulse was 125mg 4x/day every day for 10 days, every other day for 10 days, every third day for 10 days then every fourth and eventually every fifth -in total I was on the vanco for about 7 or 8 weeks and I'd had c-diff for about 5 months prior to this. I took the oregano oil on days that I was off the vanco and was feeling iffy -usually in the morning on an empty stomach and it seemed to help. Then I would take a few probiotics 5-6 hours later and then a large dose of probiotics (HMF Replete) in the evening.
I too was not able to find much information as to the antimicrobial factors of this product, some info says it is useless, others say it is very powerful. If it helps you great. I also took the HCL for a while but did not do the grapefruit seed extract. V8 juice has been a help to me as well.
The Vanco got rid of this monster for me, but perhaps the oregano oil helped - I was also on a very strict elimination diet at the time as well.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon,
Supersmurf

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”