Benzamycin topical antibiotic for acne

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MaryT
Regular Contributor

Benzamycin topical antibiotic for acne

Postby MaryT » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:11 pm

My daughter was just prescribed this cream for acne. She has never had cdiff but obviously I am very cautious with her. The clindamycin cream I wouldn't let her use as the manufacturer said right on the site it could cause cdiff. This cream is a benzoylperoxide and erythromycin combination. I did some internet search and several sites liste as 'special warnings' that if you get diarrhea while using this to stop and call MD right away as it may cause a severe intestinal infection. Doesn't say cdiff but sounds like it to me! I see erythromycin is on the middle of the road list for causing cdiff.

As anyone ever used this cream?

Thanks,

MaryT

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:40 am

Hi, Mary. I found this :http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/310/6991/1375

Scroll about a quarter of the way down, I think it says Antibiotics and c-diff. It's a grey shaded box implicating all antibiotics oral, injected, etc. have been known to cause c-diff.

Also found a website about the script w/ a warning saying it can cause an overgrowth of bacteria causing a secondary infection and also stated if you developed diarrhea while on it that it could signal a serious intestinal infection and to call your Dr. immediately.

Hope this helps.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:50 am

Here's one more. Scroll down to warnings.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fd ... pe=display

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks Christina! I spoke with the dermatologist and I spoke with someone at the drug manufacturer. The contact at the drug company is going to find out if there have ever been any reported cases. But I've already told my daughter she can't use it. They are going to have to explore other options for her.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”