New ID Doc

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
boxer77
Regular User

New ID Doc

Postby boxer77 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Finaly a doc who is going to put me on Vanco, a 2 week run of it.

The killer is even with my insurance vanco still costs me $800+ I have room on my credit card for 1 round of this stuff, after that who knows. Hopefully I will be healed.
YA!!! no more Flagyl!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Congrats and good luck. Hopefully, this round will be your last. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Christina

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:34 am

boxer,
you can get liquid vanco for a fraction of the cost. See Vanco in FAQ section.

Great news you got a good doc now!
~Sheila

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Docs got me on a 125mg 4x a day Vanco, took one pill so far, no side effects.
They told me to take when I get up at lunch at dinner and when I go to bed.
6hours aprt dosent work for some of it tho. I wont overdose on this is I go four hours apart for the middle 2 will I?

mugyver
New User

Postby mugyver » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 am

Thats what I was just on. Finished it on tuesday at 6pm. I kinda think it may not have worked cause I don't feel as ok now as I did when I was on it, but that could be the probiotics or any number of other things since its only been day.

BUt anyway, there were atleast 2 days where I missd my 6am dose and didn't get it till 9 and then took it again at 12 (I know the one time I waited till 1) but never overdosed or had any side effects from it. What I was told was that if I can't take it every 6 hours, I should take it when I get up, 6 hours after that, 6 hours after that, and then as late as possible before going to bed.

But I only sleep about 4 or 5 hours at a time due to my schedule, so I stayed at 6 hours as much as possible.

Really hope this worked as I went from flagyl to vanco only one day in between.

Sorry started babbling, but anyway, I'm not a doctor, so although I say it's fine to take the two middle doses 4 hours apart, I still suggest asking your doctor.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:46 am

boxer,

Vancomycin is an antibiotic (the strongest one made), you wouldn't overdose in the way you mean at 4 hrs apart; you're also on the lowest recommended dose for cdiff (goes up to 500mg 4xday in some cases and, rarely, more than that even).

So in that respect, the 4 hours won't hurt you, but, having said that, I think it is important to try (as much as possible) to keep it evenly in your system. Otherwise you allow cdiff to do it's thing between the long, spread-out doses, which you don't want.

It's best to try to space it as evenly as possible, some folks set an alarm for a "middle of the night dose" but most don't. So figure out a schedule you can stick to and run it by your doc for his okay.

Don't let your symptoms get real bad if the dosage isn't working - keep in touch with your doc on that too. The vanco didn't work as quickly for me in resolving symptoms as the Flagyl did (when the Flagyl was working, that is) but I know now that I wasn't on a high enough dose.

Best wishes on the new medicine!! If the dose is right, you'll be feeling better soon.
~Sheila

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 am

As Sheila said you will not overdose. I was on 2,000mg a day every time I relapsed and am a very small person. Other than making me tired and somewhat nauseous I was fine.
When I was on normal doses such as 3-4 250's per day if I did not keep them evenly spaced after a few days I would start to have symptoms. For some it doesn't seem to matter but for me if I didn't time it out I would have issues. I always set my alarm clock even if it meant waking up in the middle of the night.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

I agree, try and keep to the 6 hourly schedule. I too would set my alarm, have a glass of water on the nightstand. All it takes is a sip or two. An hour this way or that, probably not that big a deal. But, it is a very powerful medicine, and it works by keeping a steady level going. I found it such an brilliant med, it was almost as if each and every dose made me feel better, was making me well again. And to remind you, it is a privilege to have the medicine, most places in the world, outside of the US, people don't get it, if at all, or with enormous difficulty, at astonishing cost.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 pm

I didn't get up in the middle of the night -- figured I needed my sleep -- but spaced the med. 6 hrs. apart. Do what works for you best.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:37 pm

Im trying to stick to the- 6am 12 pm 6pm 12 am schedual, I miss the morning one by a couple of hours sometimes.
This stuff makes my super drowsy when I take it, I sleep all the time.
I still have "d" but its once a day now. I just did my first full day yesterady, so I hope this does it. Doc said he would put me on this and rifampin?
I do have some L glutimine I think I might want to take.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Boxer, hi, it sounds that you are doing better. Am sorry, I mis-read this post, I thought you were on 500 4 x a day, not 125's 4x. At the high dose, I would worry about not taking it around the clock, or taking doses too close together. You are on a lower dose. C.diff makes one sleepy, you know that right? In any event, it is still a good idea to try and take meds as prescribed, your doc would know best if it matters. Have you tried 7 -1 -7 -1, or 8 -2 - 8 - 2? At some point they will put you on 3x a day? That is a lot easier schedule, every 8 hours instead of 6.

What you are going through is something so many of us have gone through, how to fit the meds into 24/7. We have discussed it several times on site. Christina and I both found that we did better, keeping to the schedule. It improves down the line, when you are not as sick with it, it makes less difference.

Hope you feel better daily.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:08 am

Both C-diff and Vanco will make you sleepy. Probably a combo. of both.

Rifampin is another antibiotic which used to be used for C-diff. Some Dr.'s still use it and some don't. I do know of someone who was cured by that and Vanco. I believe they must be taken together although spaced apart meaning, Rifampin can't be used alone w/out Vanco. Hopefully, this round of Vanco will work and you won"t need to go that route.

Wishing you luck and healing.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:45 pm

I have taken 21 pills so far, and I still have loose stools, should this vanco be doing more for me? I mean its keeping me out of relapse, but when Should I be getting more "formed" stools? I have 35 more pills left to take.
IM wondering if the 125 x 4 a day is to weak of a dose?

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 am

boxer,

The medical articles say diarrhea should resolve in 2 to 5 days. When I was on Vanco at 250mg 3x day I still had loose stools and lots of pain - the entire time. Go more by how you feel, not by your bm's as they may or may not ever be 'like they were before'.

If you don't 'feel' sick you are most likely doing okay. A higher dose is possible, but remember too that antibiotics themselves can cause loose stools too. If you've been on the Vanco awhile and still feel bad, write down your symptoms, and have a talk with your doctor.
~Sheila

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:45 am

Ya I dont feel sick much at all, besides the drowsyness, one day I didnt even go to the bathroom.
I actualy cut grass yesterday, and Im going to start painting a house, so ya I will just go thru this dose and see how I am.
But ya Im not feeling anything like I do when I relapse. Thanks!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”