Taking antibiotics again

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ickytummy
Regular User

Taking antibiotics again

Postby ickytummy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

I have been c-diff free since about October of last year and now I'm four months pregnant. I was just curious if it is ok to take antibiotics through an IV when I go into labor. I'm going to request that I don't get any unless ABSOLUTELY necessary....but is it farely safe to get them through an IV? I think with c-sections they always give you something just in case, but I just wanted to hear peoples experience. thanks!!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I think its the same as taking one orally. I had c-sections with all mine and dont remember having to take antibiotics for it. Ask your OB about it and what kind if theyre to give you one.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

As I understand it, any antibiotic in any form can cause cdiff disease (even Flagyl and Vanco rarely). Antibiotic means "against life" they kill good bacteria as well as bad bacteria. There are narrow spectrum and broad spectrum antibiotics. Check the FAQ section "Antibiotics..." there is a list of most- and least- likely to cause cdiff disease.

Talk with your GI or ID doc in detail and get his/her recommendation on what to do. Then discuss it with your OB doctor prior to your due date so that everyone is aware of what needs to be done.

Some people have been able to avoid a recurrence by taking Vanco along with whatever other antibiotic was required; for others it didn't help. Some feel it helps to 'load up' on probiotics, but no one knows if it really does. These are things your GI/ID doc can help with too.

Congratulations on your upcoming family addition!!
~Sheila

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 pm

If you can try to see if you can use an antibiotic from either the rarely list which would be Vanco or Flagyl. I'm not sure if those would be what you need. If not, discuss with your Dr. about one from middle of the road, if you need one at all. I had two c-sections and was never given an antibiotic. Check to make sure if you're really are going to need one. There is no way to tell if you'll wind up with c-diff, unfortuantely. As usual it will be watch and wait.

Congrats on your pregnancy. I am so truly happy for you.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Christina

AlexL
New User

Postby AlexL » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:16 pm

It is not standard to give antibiotics for c-sections. You should definitely discuss your history of c.diff with your obstetrician (who won't know much about it at all and will need to be educated). IV antibiotics will put you at the same risk for c.diff as oral antibiotics, depending, of course, on which specific antibiotic is used. Many surgeons, in general, overuse antibiotics for some surgeries. Resist having your OB give you prophylactic antibiotics (meaning no infection is present but they want to "prevent" one by proactively administering antibiotics--there is no convincing data in the medical literature that this works and someone with a history of c.diff should not get them for this purpose in my view (I am an internist)). Chances are they won't even suggest antibiotics and you'll do fine!

lilmommy
Brand New Poster

Postby lilmommy » Mon May 14, 2007 3:00 pm

I had a c-section with IV antibiotics 1 year after my intial C-Diff infection, and all was fine. The Doc chose from the less likely list of antibiotics. Hope that helps ease your mind a bit, and good luck with your delivery!

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Mon May 14, 2007 6:53 pm

I was told to never go on antibiotics again unless it was a life-threatening situation. if you have to, ask for IV vancomycin...but ask your doc of course what the risks are. If you have to go on another antibiotic due to the pregnancy, then ask to be put on oral vancomycin at the same time, and florastor to prevent a c.difficile relapse.

My doc said if I am ever in dire need of antibiotics again to make sure oral vancomycin was started at the same time, and contuinued for 4-6 weeks after I finished the antibiotics. Congratulations on your baby! I am sure you will be fine...think good thoughts! :)

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi Icky,

I was thinking about you today & wondering how you are doing! So glad to hear you are still Cdiff free & so happy about the baby. You will be fine, I know it. Just take care of yourself & take your vitamins!

Pam

Crissie
Contributor

Postby Crissie » Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 am

I had my baby in October 06 and had a C Section. I do believe that IV antibiotics that they give you are a little different. First it is only a one time shot of the antibiotics. I got Ancef. What I did was to take acidophilus about 2wks prior to the C Section and for about 3-4wks after and I did not have a problem.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”