lower back pain????

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
GW
New User

lower back pain????

Postby GW » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 pm

I have posted before but maybe just need to hear from all of you again.
I had C-Diff back in October 2005. 14 days ago I had what I believe was a diverticulitis attack (or could have been a kidney stone attack) as started with a back ache....then lower groin pain..terrible 3-4 seconds worth...then went to bathroom and the "D" started. I learned from 2005 NOT to take immodian or pepto bismol so avoided that. I went to see my doctor after 8 days of not getting better. He prescribed Flagyl 3x a day.....did not seem to do the job at all......It is now the 13th day...I finished the Flagyl......still have the "D" but maybe only 3x a day. But I have developed lower back and side pains the last 5 days. My doctor wants me to do a stool test on Wednesday....before he would prescribe Vanco.......I do not remember back pains in 2005...has anyone else had back pains with C-Diff?
Thanks much...I am getting depressed...AND TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
Gary

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Many have complained of back pain. Be sure & ask your doc. about it next week. Try a heating pad -- no side effects & the warmth is soothing.

You should be off Vanco. or Flagyl for 10 to 14 days (14 best) before being retested for most accurate results.

Happy Birthday! Hope your next birthday is happier!

GW
New User

Postby GW » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks for the advice Bobbie......I'll get the heating pad out now.

Gary

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Happy Birthday! Sorry its not a better one. My daughter also turned 14 today. Anyway I agree with Bobbie 100%. The heating pad workds wonders.

GW
New User

Postby GW » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:31 pm

Thank you...and happy 14th birthday to your daughter. I am 14 too.....well, 14 + 14 + 14 + 14 = 56 ha

Thanks a bunch...hope the heating pad works well tonight.

chris88888888
New User

lower back pain

Postby chris88888888 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 am

When I had an active C Diff infection I had lots of lower back pain. From reading the forum, and my own experience, I think it's pretty common.

Chris

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:09 am

Gary, happy birthday anyway... maybe you can celebrate it on a postponed date and celebrate being over cdiff at the same time!
~Sheila

GW
New User

Postby GW » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:27 am

Thank you for the replies.....I slept with the heating pad all night and though still sore, the back pain has diminished thus far.

Thanks for all the suggestions and positive thoughts.
gary in Illinois

AlexL
New User

Postby AlexL » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:41 am

I too have had back pain with c.diff, though mine was mostly left middle back. I'm a physician and have often heard patients complain of back pain with severe constipation, which has led me to believe that colonic pain, from any source, can manifest as back pain. It actually makes sense from a physiologic point of view as the ability to localize pain from the GI tract is poor because of the way the pain fibers report GI pain to the brain.

I agree with you doctor that you should have your stool tested. Certainly this could be c.diff, but it could be other types of infections as well.

Good luck in feeling better!

GW
New User

Postby GW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Thank you Alex.

I will be going in for a stool sample testing this Thursday. The "D" is still present but not as bad and only maybe 3x a day. Back pain is still present. And that makes it tough with being a physical education teacher!
ha

Gary

GW
New User

Postby GW » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi everyone: My doctor called me tonight and wants me to call tomorrow to have a Cat Scan of my abdomen and Pelvis to check if my initial diverticulitis attack tore or caused an infection since my back pain has stayed with me for a week now. I'll call first thing in the morning to get the test completed.....guess it's important to do so but am a bit nervous about the whole situation.
send positive thoughts my way please.
Gary

mugyver
New User

Postby mugyver » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:45 am

I'm sure everything is fine. I have been having back pain ever since I got cdiff. Its been about a month now, and some days its worse than others.

I wish you the best and stay on the positive side. It's been hard for me to do it, but I'm definitely managing and I know you can do it too.

GW
New User

Postby GW » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Thank you for the reply. I will be going in tomorrow morning at 6:30 for my 7:00am cat-scan.....sure hope all is ok as my back is really bad today.
Gary

GW
New User

results of cat scan

Postby GW » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi everyone: I had the cat scan on Thursday...it started out poorly as the IV needle toree through the vein wall...the iodine drip seeped into the arm tissue...felt like a vice on my arm...now I have a 14" bruise. Anyway, the scan just showed two tiny kidney stones...not a problem; diverticulosis...but not inflamed. The stool sample test results did not show C-Diff (but I was on Flagyl 6 days before the test) but it DID show some other strange bacteria...usually found when acquired in a foreign country! My doc wants me on Cipro for three days and to stay on Floristor for 2 months...along with Dannon "ProActivia" smoothies.....my back pain has subsided somewhat and the "D" seems to be getting better.
Heating pad worked well on my back.......positive thinking is super important...and reading all of your advice is just what the doctor ordered.
Thanks,
Gary

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:28 am

Gary,

Glad you finally found an answer for your symptoms and can get on the road to recovery. There are many bacteria and parasites that are fairly common in the U.S. but generally 'considered' to be acquired "in a foreign country," like cdiff, there are "carriers" and most are as easily acquired as cdiff (via unhygienic practices of others) and/or contaminated food. Here's a brief list of the most common one's found: http://microbiology.suite101.com/article.cfm/travelers_diarrhea Some have specific incubation periods and might be of some help in determining how/where you may have acquired it? (I'm sure a question running through your mind!).

We will hope the Cipro doesn't cause a flare-up in your cdiff. Some have had success with keeping cdiff under control by taking Vanco along with the other antibiotic, for others it didn't work, but might be something to discuss with your doc. Same for 'loading up' on probiotics for a few days. Try to space your probiotics and Activia as far apart from the Cipro as possible.

Keep us posted and we'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you!
~Sheila

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”