Dieting, heartburn, and other misc questions I might ask

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Waldog
Regular User

Dieting, heartburn, and other misc questions I might ask

Postby Waldog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Ok here are a few questions I have been meaning to ask of my fellow forum mebers for some time now.

(Dieting???)

In reference to dieting, I notice that it does seem people are complaining about losing weight while suffering from C. Diff. In another thread it was explained that people who are not having this problem, don't post. Is this the general consensus?

I ask this question because after being on my current diet for two weeks, is when I was struck down with C. Diff. I find it an interesting coincidence.

The problem I am having is the opposite of what seems to be a popular issue. I am not so much gaining, but seem to be stuck at my current plateau.

I have tried to eat less, and be more active. This has seemed to help, but I am still not losing as fast as I was before.

I was eating Activa per the doctors instructions, but slowed to 1 every three days after I did notice weight gain. I know it is probably not a good idea, but I wanted to maintain my weight loss plan.

Bottom line is, I seem to be bouncing up and down, and I am not making any real progress.

(Foods to avoid???)

I have also taken note that some of you seem to have intolerance to dairy products, nuts, and other misc food products.

I myself do not seem to have this problem. Again, it was pointed out that those of us who do not, are not complaining. And neither am I. I am just curious to find out if there is a connection with any foods, for example the dairy products stick out in my mind. Possibly I read that effects a lot of people here?

It is also possible that I don't notice any effects from certain foods because the effects are minimal even though they are present if that makes any sense.

Just to give you an idea of what I eat in comparison to some foods I have observed here that give people issues are:

Wheat - cereals, breads, and pasta.

Dairy - butter, Skim Milk, and mostly all types of popular cheese

Meat - mostly lean meats, turkey, chicken, rarely beef (medium well), and I keep away from pork even though I used to enjoy bacon, and pulled pork before my diet.

Nuts - peanuts, cashews, and walnuts

Vegetable - lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers, onions mostly

Ok, that is enough of that, I could get more detailed, but that is pretty much the core of my diet.

(Heartburn / Acid Reflux?)

Do any of you happen to experience heartburn or acid reflux? Did you notice this was something you had before C. Diff???

Until the DAY BEFORE, I started my Vanco, I could have count on one hand how many times I have had heartburn in my entire life.

I am wondering if there is a connection with the Vanco, but since I noticed it the day before I started I held it as least suspect, but it seems to vary in when in comes and goes.

At first I thought a particular food I was consuming was causing it, I even suspected some gum I had at one time, but it seems very random after attempting to test myself with certain foods to see if it flared up have been unsuccessful.

What about the Flagyl, could it be a left over side effect?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I was not even sure what it was because I have never had it long enough to be bothered by it until now.

I suppose it could be the start of acid reflux due to whatever is brewing in my stomach acid???

Ok, well that is all I can think of right now that I have wanted to inquire about.

Feel free to share!

Thanks!
-Waldog

linzie
New User

acid reflux

Postby linzie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Funny you posted that ive been thinking the same thing, i came off vanco 6 months ago and have terrible acid problem. I am wondering if it is linked too????

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:15 pm

As far as acid goes it seems some of us have developed this issue during our bought with c-diff. Prior to c-diff I never had reflux at all. During my year of Vanco I had it almost constantly and after my success with the IVIG's it continued. After making it to the 12 week mark my GI Dr. put me on a PPI which I now take daily. I have not had a problem since I have been on the medicine.
Dairy bothers some but not others.Maybe it's because our stomachs are not digesting properly or maybe they are more sensitive while fighting c-diff. I was lactose intolerant before c-diff and it seems that the problem is now worse since having c-diff. Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate.
While on Flagyl, I couldn't eat anything. I stuck to the BRAT diet and Ensure.Once I was on a steady course of Vanco I was able to tolerate anything. I ate salad, pizza, Mexican food. You name it, I ate it. That is when I started gaining weight. I felt better on the Vanco and was able to eat but still was sick and not able to exercise. I spent most of the time in bed. I also gained 9 pounds from the IVIG's which may not seem like a lot to most but I am only 4'10". All in all once being "stabilized" on Vanco and having the IVIG's I am now 14 pounds heavier than before c-diff. I am exercising now but am remaining steady and am having trouble losing it.
I think if you are not losing and not gaining but remaining steady that is a good sign. I'd run it by your Dr. about dieting at this time. I'm not sure if it would help or hurt or not make a difference.

I only lost 6 pound total w/ my c-diff experience.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:45 pm

Waldog,
I never had heartburn (or other GI problems) until after C. diff. After my 2nd C. diff. episode, I developed heartburn briefly after the allergist put me on massive doses of prednisone for pneumonia. An endoscope showed it "screwed up" my esophagus. I was on a PPI for a yr. until I tapered off it w/o a problem.

About 5 yrs. ago, my mother felll & broke her hip in MT & I had to move her here. Did a lot of heavy lifting during the packing. Several months later, I developed acid reflux & an endoscopy showed I have a hiatal hernia. Have been on a PPI ever since.

As people age, indigestion & acid reflux (& hiatal hernias) are more common. Who knows if it is related to C. diff.? Christina, however, is young. PPI's have been linked with C. diff., but during my last bout with pneumonia, I was on a Zpak & a PPI without C. diff. Go figure! Just another unanswered question in the "wonderful world of C. diff."

Read FAQ-Acid Reflux for tips. Some help -- such as elevating the head of your bed. I don't watch my diet like I should but do modify some things.

Selky

Alcohol

Postby Selky » Fri May 11, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi i'm new here, have had CD since broad spectrum anti's after my son was born 4 and half months ago. I've just put in another stool test and waiting for results. After two rounds of flagyl and one of vanco, it seemed to calm down until I had a night out with my friends a couple of weeks ago -(which I was itching for as you can imagin) I then had really bad D that night and for a week after. Has anyone had adverse affects from alcohol?

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:24 pm

Selky,
Alcohol and CDiff is not a good idea at all. Have you been tested to see if you still have CDiff? I have been CDiff for a year and even after I got "over" cdiff alcohol really did a number on me, not so much anymore. If you havent been tested you might want to just for your own peace of mind. Also are you having anyother symptoms? I would be VERY careful with drinking alcohol until you get tested,if I were you.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Selky

Postby Selky » Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks Heather,

Yes I am being re tested, should have results tomorrow. Have no other symtoms. It seems my two favorite things to put in my month need to be put away for now. Wine and anything sweet. It's not fair. Well done to you for getting over it.
Hopefu Selkyl

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun May 13, 2007 7:42 am

You should not drink alcohol while on Flagyl and for a week or so after. It can make you violently ill. I had a drink here and there while on Vanco and it did not bother me at all. Everybody reacts to things differently while fighting C-diff therefore, everything is trial and error to see what works and doesn't work for your.There is no medical risk about drinking alcohol w/ C-diff or while on Vanco. It's all a matter of whether you can tolerate it or not.

Selky

Postby Selky » Sun May 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Thanks Christina,

Your not wrong, it's trail and error for sure. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”