Questran

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hilldk
Regular User

Questran

Postby hilldk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 am

I just have to ask--since I am so paranoid these days. I finished my Xifaxan "chaser" yesterday and started Questran 1/day this morning--other than the gritty feeling, it didn't taste bad. I took it with orange juice. I had to run to the restroom as soon as I got to work--just wondered if it "cleaned anyone out" that quickly after taking it. Of course I fear every strange bowel movement but this is the loosest one I've had since two days after my colonoscopy (from which biopsies turned up all negative--big surprise since I was on vanco at the time of it--one polyp removed and it was negative also.) No pain, just scared me. My stomach is really grumbling. It didn't say to take with a meal, just to drink with juice, so I didn't know if an empty stomach was causing it as well. Anyone that has had taken Questran, I'd love to hear about your experience. Especially if you've done the chaser first.

Next week will be nine months of this for me, so I'm really to the point of frustration--I could've had a baby and had something enjoyable to look forward to in this amount of time instead of battling a beast!

Thanks,
Kristi

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:29 pm

hilldk,
I had C. diff. 4 yrs. the first time -- could have earned another college degree. We all understsand your frustration. It can be a disease that makes you "want to pull your hair out."

Questran didn't work for me but did for my son. I don't remember if either he or I had side effects. Check with your doc. and/or pharmacist, read the patient insert, & check reputable medical web sites.

Sounds as though you know that being on meds. (at least Vanco. or Flagyl) can negate the results of your colonscopy. (Don't know if Xifaxan does. Again ask your doc. and/or pharmacist.)

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:07 pm

hilldk,

I didn't have the Xifaxan chaser, went straight from Vanco to Questran 2/day.

Every time I changed doses of medicine or changed medicines I had some 'issues.' When I stopped Vanco and went on Questran alone I did have some minor issues, that resolved....I kind of lived by Bobbie's 3-Day Rule for quite awhile. But I never got worse and, eventually, got well. It did not make a noticeable difference in how felt on any given day, and didn't stop the d. - but little by little I would notice I was better than the week before and so on.

When I ended the 30-day Questran plan, in less than 36 hours I started suddenly have more-than-minor symptoms and freaked and went back on the Questran. I decided to taper off the Questran, which I did over 3 weeks; I did fine when I stopped taking it that time (I did tell my doc I was doing this...after the fact, but I told him)

The Questran seemed to help the remaining continued pain I had. I don't think it would have worked for me if I'd tried it when I really sick; but it seemed to do the trick for me in the last stages of illness.

Good luck and I hope this will be the end of it for you!
~Sheila

hilldk
Regular User

thanks

Postby hilldk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks to you both. After D one time yesterday morning, I've been fine. I didn't eat before taking the Questran yesterday morning--was much better after I ate--not so queasy. This morning, I ate toast then drank the gritty mess--it kind of reminds me of OJ with calcium--and I've been fine. Hopefully, this will be it, but I'm not posting anything good anywhere until I'm done with the Questran and off it for quite some time. The doctor wants me to stay on it at least 3 months--I hadn't seen where anyone else did that, but I guess if it works he wants to try to get out as many toxins as possible.

Sheila, did your doctor take a stool sample while on the Questran? I wonder if when I go back April 13th he'll want me to do one. I didn't know if the toxins would show up while on Questran since they most often don't while on vanco.

Thanks,
Kristi

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Kristi,

I did have a test toward the end of the Questran, and it did come back negative (which I believe was false).

I had the same question you did. The answer was that theoretically the Questran is supposed to bind the toxins thus eliminating it. So, if it works like they say, then it's possible the stool would not test positive.

Questran binds the toxins to help prevent the sickness caused by them, while allowing your body to get off the Flagyl/Vanco and build more of it's own defense to fight the bacteria and end the cycle on it's own. Makes perfect sense to me that it wouldn't work in severe illness....unless you drank a dump truck load per day :)

I mixed mine in instant oatmeal in the mornings and it went down great and didnt notice the gritty texture either. In the evenings I usually drank it in cranberry juice. It's better with something with texture (applesauce, etc.) if the texture bothers you.

Glad you're feeling better and it was "just a scare." It takes awhile to get over those 'it's-back-panic-attacks', still have little ones once in awhile when there's a particularly painful cramp or lots of rumbling going on.
~Sheila

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”