Diagnosed with c diff. today

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
momtothree
Brand New Poster

Diagnosed with c diff. today

Postby momtothree » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:04 pm

I have a question about the antibiotic Flagyl. How effective is it in comparasion to some of the others I have seen on the posts? Is c diff. something that can be cured w/o antibiotics and just with probiotics or not? Is there a certain type of probiotic that I should be taking? I am taking Jarrodophilis right now it is a powder form and is refridgerated. Is there a certain diet that I should be on? How common is it to take the Flagyl with no re-occurence of c diff. I know I have lots of questions. When the nurse told me today this was what I had I asked all the questions I could think of at the time and now I have more and the office is closed.

Thanks for any input

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi momtothree,

Sorry you had to join us...but you came to the right place for information and support!

Dr. McDonald's article answers most of your questions - Dr. Clifford McDonald's Article

and Dr. Borody's article (on the main index) has alot of information too.

Most doctors don't mention how critical hygiene is, important to prevent re-infecting yourself as well as others, so be sure to read the section on Hygiene in FAQ.

Flagyl is still the first-line treatment and studies are still saying 70-80% are 'cured' with one or 2 rounds of medicine. Host response (your own immune system) has alot to do with it too, I think that's also briefly talked about in those articles and this one, by Dr. Fordtran: Dr. Fordtran, Baylor Univ. Article

Some people eat what they want and others went on the BRAT diet for awhile. I just did "bland" diet when I was real sick and did pretty good. I did eat lots of yogurt to offset the bland though after I got my appetite back.

CDiff is very individual, everyone reacts differently - it's part of what makes this disease so frustrating for doctors as well as patients. It's trial and error.

But, again, most are still 'cured' pretty rapidly. I hope you're in that group!
~Sheila

greystreet41
New User

Postby greystreet41 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:08 pm

flagyl seemed to help me, but it was really rough on the stomach. I had to choke down food to lessen the side effects. good luck.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 am

momtothree,
It is very rare for cdiff to be cured with just probiotics. Some of us feel that probiotics help, and others have problems with them, or feel they don't make any difference. I took Culturelle, Floraster, acidophilus, and Primadophilus reuteri. The only one that I can say for sure made a difference was reuteri. It gave me my appetite back, and I finally started to gain back the 27 pounds I lost to cdiff. Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”