Is this normal after meds?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
HennyPenny68
Contributor

Is this normal after meds?

Postby HennyPenny68 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:07 pm

I finished a 2 week round of xifaxan about a week and a half ago. My stools have not been totally formed but are soft. About 3 days off the med I started having cramping and some "D". I thought oh no it's back. The next day the "D" was gone but stools are always soft. Then it hit me again yesterday with a little cramping and "D". However, I've been going mostly once a day. Is it normal to come and go like that or do I need to be retested for the c diff?

Amy

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Since you have been off medication for more than one week, just to be on the safe side do a stol test.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:16 pm

HennyPenny,
I agree. This might be IBS --common in many of us who had C. diff. -- but best to be safe. See FAQ-Tests. Be sure & use sterile container -- 3 day test.

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:07 am

I think I'll see if my doctor will give me an order for a stool retest. I'll feel better if it comes back neg after being off the medicine. I don't know but it's weird. The stools are back to just soft again. It's like I have a flare up every 5 days or so and I noticed that when it happens that at night I have restless sleep and my body aches.

Waldog
Regular User

Postby Waldog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 am

HP,

If this is any help, that is exactly what happened to me about 14 days after I finshed round 1 of Flagyl. Not trying to worry you, but I would want re-tested as soon as reasonably possible.

If your symptoms get worse, I would call the doctor ASAP.

I can also say that on Flagly I never had any formed BMs, and now on Vanco, it has been quite the opposite of formed and I am not sure if this is normal. Meant to ask the doctor the other day, I mentioned it, but never asked outright. He did not seem concerned.

I thought I read on here somewhere that even people who are "cured" never return to normal.

I hope that is not the case, because I will never feel "cured" if that is true.
-Waldog

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:57 am

waldog,

It's not that people 'never' return to normal, but many (not all) are left with IBS. In some cases Post-Infectious IBS can develop after an intestinal infection, a little different than 'run of the mill' IBS but the good news PI-IBS usually resolves itself within 6 mos. to 24 mos. I was left with PI-IBS and am hoping I will be in the 'usual' category and it will eventually go away. My symptoms are currently not much different than with mild cdiff actually, except the pain isn't near as bad or constant and no d.

After tons of fretting while ill, once you begin truly getting better and pass the benchmark of 90-days with no illness, you will feel much better mentally and physically - even if things aren't exactly like they were before cdiff.
~Sheila

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”