LOTS OF PAIN

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
wiggy
Brand New Poster

LOTS OF PAIN

Postby wiggy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:03 pm

HELLO I'AM NEW TO THE GROUP I HAVE A 5 MTH OLD BABY WHO IS CDIFF POSITIVE MY LIFE IS FALLING APART I'AM TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT THE DISEASE BUT IT IS SO SCARY TO ME.I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS KIDS THAT ARE POSITIVE THAT I CAN RELATE TO. THANKS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM SOMEONE SOON.
WIGGY

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:07 am

wiggy,
Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics. Dr. Borody's & Dr. McDonald's articles contain a lot of info. re. C. diff. Read them & as much of FAQ as you can -- especially FAQ-Children (Inc. Infants) With C. diff., Hygiene, & Testing.

Many have posted on this site with children with C. diff. Often they do better than adults do. If symptoms are minor, docs. sometimes don't treat infants. In any case, if your child relapses or becomes worse, take him/her to a ped. GI.

Hopefully, other mothers with children with C. diff. will post -- one posted the other day. Read some of the most recent posts to find her post. Perhaps you can PM or Email each other for support.

Pls. don't post in all caps. (See lst forum.) Let us know how your baby is doing. My son had C. diff. at the age of 4 so I know what you are going through and emphathize.

prairierose
Contributor

Postby prairierose » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 am

Hi Wiggy,

I am so sorry to hear that your little one is sick with C Diff. Was your baby on antibiotics recently? Do you know how your baby contracted C Diff?
First, take a deep breath. I am not a doctor, but I can tell you about my experience.
I had C difficle (pseudomebranous colitis) diagnosed in August 2005. I was very sick and had been battling C Diff for two months when my baby daughter began having bloody diarrhea. She was 8 months old when she testd positive for C Diff.
She was put on Flagyl several times, as the diarrhea kept coming back. She finally beat C Diff in November 2005.
Today she is a healthy, rambunctious 2 year old, with no C Diff!
Is your baby on antibiotics right now to treat C Diff?
In my experience, babies tend to recover much faster than adults. They also tend to not get as sick as adults.
Talk to your baby's doctor about using Probiotics to help rebalance her GI tract. I used Culturelle with my daughter and I still give it to her today. The capsules can be opened and sprinkled into juice, applesauce, yogurt etc..
My daughter was still testing positive for C Diff even when her symptoms had resolved, and I chose to just keep giving her the probiotics instead of putting her on Flagyl again. This worked for us. Apparently, many children under the age of 2 can test positive for C Diff without symptoms.
Hygiene is important as you will be dealing with the diapers. I used a plastic change table pad that could be wiped down and I used disposable gloves when handling diapers. Soiled diapers were wrapped in a plastic bag and put straight into the garbage. Make sure you wash your hands well. I also took out all bath toys while my daughter was sick and cleaned them in a bleach solution. Any soiled clothing/ towels etc. should be washed seperately in hot water with bleach. There is more info on hygiene in FAQ'S.
You can read more on my experience in Erin's Case History.
Good luck to you and your little one,
Prairierose
Cdiff 1 year. Flagyl then MANY rounds of Vanco with Questran/ Rifampin/Fusidin. Finally two Fecal transplants and currently 13 months C Diff free! :)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”