What should I watch for after Vanco taper???

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jan
Regular Contributor

What should I watch for after Vanco taper???

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:25 pm

My GI had me on Flagyl for over 32 days then also put me on Vanco along with the Flagyl, then stopped the Flagyl, then stayed on Vanco 3 times a day, to 2 times a day for a week, then 1 time a day for a week. I finished my last Vanco Friday so it has been 3 days with out any meds. Am using Lactinex chewables tablets 3 times daily plus another Probiotic. Bowel Movements have decreased from 7 to 8 times a day down to twice daily, pretty well formed but not the same before C DIFF. No "D". Stomach gurgles usually after dinner and through the night and stops by morning. Appetite slightly back and glad to say I have gained 2 pounds and hopefully more soon. I noticed I still have crashing fatigue but then it disappears.
Can any one tell me what they have experienced after a taper of Vanco.
I don't know if the C DIFF is actually gone, what is a relapse? Am I getting better but just not back to normal yet? My GI wants samples after 14 days off the Vanco. Plus scheduled a colonoscopy in April. Any info any one can give me would be much appreciated. This site is great and the posts have helped me tremendously. I wish for all of us there was a magic pill to cure us and maybe some day there will be. As for now, I pray continously and maybe that is the miracle we need.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 am

Sounds like you are doing OK but to make sure you need to make it to 12 weeks off of meds. There is really no way to tell it is "gone" until you hit the 12 week mark so try to hang in there the best that you can. Waiting is one of the hardest parts of this illness. Try to keep busy.
Although, I did not have success with the taper I did do one and I relapsed only six days later with all symptoms. If your symptoms are clearing and that continues be happy.
I'm not sure if things ever return to normal once you've had c-diff. I have been off of Vanco for 5 months and still have issues but they sure beat c-diff. Gradually, over time you should begin to see improvement but it may be a slow process. Your body has been through a lot and it needs time to heal.
A colonoscopy is a great idea. It can tell a lot about how you are healing and what if anything is going on. I'd go for it.

Hoping this is the end of your c-diff journey.

Christina

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi Jan,
I echo Christina's thoughts in saying that I hope this is the end of c-diff for you. Was this your first round of antibiotics for c-diff?
A taper of Vanco over seven weeks was what got rid of c-diff for me - I am now 7 months and a bit off of the Vanco. 12 weeks is a really good landmark for knowing that the c-diff is gone, although some dr's seem to believe other amounts of time (usually shorter).
Have you read Bobbie's "3-day rule" - it's in the FAQ's section. It is a good rule to go by, it is not a medical opinion, but many on the site have used it to get through some tough spots.
As for the c-diff relapse, I had several times when getting off the vanco that I had "d" again but it always subsided - I think the point where you should be concerned is if the "d" gets worse or if you have a fever or other symptoms you may have had with your initial bout - talk to your doc and create a plan of action, identify a point where both you and your doc figure that you should be concerned about your symptoms if they return (which I hope they don't).
I still have bouts of D, and even a bout of blood in the stool a few weeks ago, but all of resolved themselves. I still have cramps and gas, but they seem to be resolving themselves with time as well, things probably won't be "normal" for you for a while.
It takes time to heal from this one. If you had in infection on your skin that caused as much inflamation and bleeding as c-diff does, you wouldn't expect it to feel 100% right away would you? Now think of your colon, being that it constantly has stuff moving through it, it has to take some time to heal. Your muscles will come back eventually and so will your energy - just make sure to rest when you can. Exercise (very mild at first) has really helped me to build myself back up (I'm playing hockey and mountain biking now, so your energy does come back eventually)
For me, diet and probiotics have helped, for others they have not. You mentioned being on probiotics, have you noticed any problems with food? Sugar and processed foods seem to aggrivate some after c-diff.
Hope this helps,
Remember c-diff always goes away. Hopefully it is gone from you this time.
Supersmurf

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”