Colonoscopy Scheduled and Need Answers HELP

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jan
Regular Contributor

Colonoscopy Scheduled and Need Answers HELP

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am

HI, this is my first post but let me tell you....this support site has helped me soooo much. My question to who ever can help is this. I just stopped my vanco 3 days ago. I have not had a colonoscopy but my GI has scheduled one in 4 weeks because I had some bleeding and he wants to find the cause to be on the safe side. I am worried about the scope because firstly, I have no idea if my C DIFF is so called "gone" and if it is "gone", I am afraid that having the laxative experience might wipe out all of the good bacteria and leave me up for another episode of C DIFF once again. Has any one had a colonoscopy after their C Diff experience? Please help. I am very nervous and wondering if I should cancel and just wait another month or so just to make sure I give my body time to heal more.
Jan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 am

Jan,
You said you are familiar with the site so hopefully, you've read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST, its subtopics, & Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles.

I doubt if having a colonscopy would wipe out all the good bacteria in your GI tract. In fact, having it after being off Vanco. for so long is ideal, because if you are on Flagyl or Vanco. when you have it, (this can also applies to other tests), it can affect the results. I was on Vanco. (& the doc. knew it) when I went to Mayo Clinic in l993. All test results were normal (including the colonscopy), & the doc. (an insulting, condescending jerk) diagnosed me with IBS. When I returned home, I went off Vanco. per instructions, become ill again, & tested positive for C. diff. You should be off Vanco. (or Flagyl) for 10 to 14 days (14 best) before testing -- if possible. (Many are too ill to be off meds. that long.)

A colonscopy is a valuable tool for diagnosis although it has its risks as any procedure does. Be sure the GI explains them to you. If he/she does biopsies, they are also valuable. The worst thing is the prep the night before. They used to give you a disgusting drink called colytely (also Golytely -- named by some sadist!) -- & you can to drink LOTS of it. Now, some docs. give a laxative pill, but you still have to drink a lot of fluid. You are "out" for the procedure.

Bleeding can have many causes. Sometimes, it is caused by hemmorhoids. Sounds as though your doc. is being thorough, but having the test is your decision.

Good luck.

Jan
Regular Contributor

reply to bobbie : colonoscopy

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info Bobbie and yes I have read all faqs.
My GI has prescribed the nasty tasty drink for the prep and also told me he will only give me twilight. WONDERFUL! I wonder if I call him I could change his mind??? I had a scope many years ago and I had to drink the prep and wasn't put out and it was a most terrible experience for me.
I felt tremendous pain and I do not want to have to go through that again. I think I will call my GI in a couple of weeks and beg for mercy.
I'll let you know what he says. Thanks so much for the quick reply. I really appreciate it!

whitepine
Regular Contributor

its okay

Postby whitepine » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Welcome!

I know the colonoscopy prep is no fun, but it is necessary. Keep in mind that while you are flushing yourself out, you are also washing out any potential c.diff spores. Many GI's use this technique to flush out the spores, so it is a good thing. Your beneficial bacteria will still be in there, they are in the intestinal walls. Make sure you add more probiotics after your scope.

As for the actual colonoscopy, it is very easy. You get knocked out and you wake up like nothing happened, then you go home, eat and sleep. It's a breeze and try not to worry about that.

When you drink the prep, keep it cold, and drink with a straw, its not that bad. You will get diarrhea, and that is normal and expected. If its so painful, ask for some meds, like a xanax or something the day of the prep.

It is best to be off vancomycin and c.diff meds for at least 2 weeks before your colonoscopy.
Good luck!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Jan,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. There is lots of knowledge and wisdom here. The folks on this site saved my life.

Your doc may or may not know that bleeding is common with cdiff. The way I understand it is that the toxins erode our colons. Bleeding sent me to the ER twice, before I realized that I was going to have it all the time with relapses, and that was normal for me (not everyone has it, though). I learned that here, not from any doc.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Jan,
I've had three or four colonscopies & wasn't out enough for two When I shouted, "I'm not out," they gave me more "stuff." I have one fond memory of a very large nurse who was almost sitting on my chest to hold me down. Then "fadeout." Thank God. They usually give you a sedative by IV before the procedure & then a type of anaethesia for the actual procedure.

Usually, I say, "Make my knees weak." Discuss this with your GI before your "procedure" (ah, what a descriptive word) & tell him about your previous experience.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”