Diagnosed 1 month ago:(

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
boxer77
Regular User

Diagnosed 1 month ago:(

Postby boxer77 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi, Im new to the cdiff scene... I have been coming here for the past month reading and getting info, a realy helpful site!
It all started a little over a month ago, I had a sinus infection and I took 2 doses of antibiotic then the second day I had the "D", didnt knwo a thing about cdiff so I didnt call the doc till 2 weeks later, got symptoms with blood and mucus. So I did a stool sample and it came back positive for toxin A.
DR. put me on metronidazole 500mg 3 times a day, took it it helped. I did another cdiff test and it came back negative, well I took the test in the day of my last pill, so Im thinking I got what you call a false negative, cause I have blood and mucus again and watery stools, she reffered me to a gastroenterologist instead of perscribing me vanco, I didnt even meet the doctor yet, the dr. scheduald me for a colonoscopy on mon. They gave me this halflytely stuff to drink and it says on there not to take if your larg intestines are inflammed, Im thinking they are since I have the symptoms of colitis I had a low grade fever when it hit me again, I was only off metronidazole for a week and a half.
Im just askign for opinions on weather I should hold off on the colonoscopy, and get another cdiff test, or go ahead and prep for the scope.
This stuff is getting depressing:(

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:30 pm

I have to start the bowel prep tommorow, anyone have any details or suggestions?

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Sorry you're going through this (again) boxer. I'd call the hospital and ask for the Gastro. on call and tell him/her that you believe you are (severely?) relapsing again and what the prep says - ask the doc what to do. That's always the safest method when medical advice is needed.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
~Sheila

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:56 pm

boxer,
I agree with Sheila -- definitely a "doc." question. Be sure & discuss biopsies with the GI before the scope (but remember every procedure has a risk) as they are sometimes helpful in diagnosis.

You probably tested neg. because you were still on Flagyl. Be sure & remain well hydrated today before you start the prep tomorrow (if the doc. agrees to go ahead.) See FAQ-Dehydration.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks so much fo rhearing me out, sometimes I feel all alone in this.
My doc isnt in till monday tho, so Im gonna have to prep it up, my pcp thinks there is more wrong with me since I tested negative and and got symptoms.... Im quickly learning that she dosent fully understand about testing and only knows basicly what the pharmacutical company says about drugs....
Thanks again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:46 pm

Boxer,
Sounds as tho. your PCP knows little about C. diff.

Do doublecheck with your GI just to alleviate your concerns. Most practices have a doc. on call for "emergencies." The answering company pages the doc. & he/she calls you back. Otherwise, call the hospital & ask for the GI on call. I tracked a doc. through an entire hospital once. Don't know how I got the nerve to do it, but I did.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:18 pm

boxer,

Just reinforce what Bobbie said - hospitals always have a GI doc on call, so you can speak with one even though it's not your doctor.
~Sheila

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:53 pm

Hey, thanks so much for your help, I will do that directly tommorow morning, I dont start the prep until 12:00 pm.
You guys are great, thanks again for your insight and help!
Let me know if I can help in anyway.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 am

Docs sayed I was ok to do the prep. Unfourtunatly I just took 2 tablets, and I got dehydrated just about passed out. I stopped it and got some pedialtye and got rehydrated.
I called the Gastro this morning and I cant getin to see the doc at all, and the nurse prac. is having family problems and they dont know when she will get back.
So Im back to my PCP to see if she will give me another stool test and get this thing moving again. Luckly the little bit those 2 pills cleared me out seemed to slow down the bad sysmptoms I was having from the cdiff.
Just thought I would let you all know of my situation. THanks again for your help and support, great to have a site like this.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:03 pm

boxer,
sorry you have to go through this mess. Hang in there it will go away!
I am just curious what antiboitic did you take that gave you c-diff?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:08 pm

boxer77,
You need to see the GI. You've already been diagnosed with C. diff. so why do you need to be retested again? Call the GI's office (or get a referral to another one). Sometimes docs. have "wait lists," & will work you in if there is a cancellation. Call every morning -- often they will work you in just to stop your calls.

The next time, follow through with the prep. It isn't pleasant but is necessary. The colonscopy has some risks (any procedure does), but the GI should have explained them to you. The scope should tell a lot about what is going on with your GI tract & what should be done.

Good luck.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Well my PCP never called me back.... So my moms friend had colon problems, to much fiber through the years and dieting shredded her colon, anyways her daughter has colitis, and she said her GI is the best, she is in good with them so she said just to tell them that she sent me, she worked for the hospital in Risk management. Anyways Im calling him tommorow, I guess from what I hear he gets in and gets the job done and takes care of his patients. Plus Im not sure if I have a fissur but my bum is swelled almost shut, no hemorids on the outside but inside aches real bad.
Thanks!
PS I cant remember wha tthe antibiotic they gave me name was, I throught them in the trash when I started taking the metronidazole.
I only took 4 of those pills, thats whats so aggravating. I was normal now Im not. Makes me want to punch a wall at times the other curl up in a ball and weep....;)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 pm

boxer,
Sounds as though you are having normal emotional reactions to having C. diff. It is infuriating -- taking a medication to "cure" you & have it do the opposite. Yes, even 4 pills can cause C. diff. -- as can IV antibiotics although they lessen the chance somewhat.

Do get in to see the new GI ASAP re. your new symtoms.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Just got back from the GI, he checked me out "down there" I didnt have the "hems" so I guess the swelling is just from straining of going to the bathroom so much. He used a silver tube to check me and whoa! nelley that was most uncomfortable!
I told him about my situation, and he didnt even hesitate to put me on antibiotics again without a test. I told him my symptoms. He wrote me out a perscription for flagyl so this will be my second round with this. I asked him about vanco, he didnt say a word. He did if this didnt help we would try somthing diffrent. He was a nice guy, besides the exam tube.... :)
Im just glad I am getting back on some kind of antibiotic, flagyl helped with the sysmptoms, it just came back tho, mabey this round it will work? I hope so.
Of course I dont have insurance and flagyl makes me severley nauseated, so I take zofran, it cost me $650.00 for 30 zofran! I cant imagine how much vanco will cost me, around $1000.00 mabey, its all worth it tho so I can get better, I mean I dont want to get a preforatted colon or cancer or whatever.
I'll keep the board posted on things, ambey someone will benifit from this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:16 pm

boxer.
Glad you got in to see GI.

For info. on possibly getting meds. at lower cost, see FAQ-Aid in Obtaining Meds.

Try Desitan oitment for inflammation and swelling. ("Baby" aisle in any drug store.)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”