Diagnosed 1 month ago:(

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks!

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:36 am

boxer,

It's probably in the FAQ, but a compounding pharmacy can make liquid oral Vanco at a fraction of the cost of the pills.

To give you an idea - a friend in Florida just had a 30 day supply of liquid Vanco made at a cost of $112. A 30 day supply of pills was $3600 for me. Had I known about liquid at the time I'd have requested it just to keep my insurance costs down (which directly effect my premiums next year!).
~Sheila

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:20 am

I herd the liquid vanco makes people nauseated, I would have to get zofran to take care of that, its all that works for me.
Zofran cost me 649.00 for 30. Ill haveto do more reaserch....

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:38 pm

boxer,
See FAQ-Vancocin. (It's on the 2nd page.) It has the "forumua" for turning IV Vanco. into oral. My son was on it in l979 -- before there was an oral form. It worked for him.

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 pm

A quick question, Im taking metronidazole, and no matter what type of drink I take with it, it disolves real quick, sometimes all the way before I get it swallowed.
Will this deminish the drugs effectiveness? I have a hard time swallowing pills so I have the pill in there for about 5 seconds before I swallow. Of course the taste is awful but OJ seems to take that away.
Thanks!

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:45 pm

boxer

I don't think 5 seconds will make any difference. What dissolves in your mouth will still travel to your stomach in saliva and/or be absorbed (same as it dissolving some on the route to your stomach). Anyway, I think you're probably fine, but you can call a pharmacist if you want to find out for certain.

I chewed up 2 or 3 crackers with a small sip of water until good and mushy (wet and not dry) then popped the pill in and swallowed the whole thing, it was just like swallowing food and I didn't notice the pill was in there and didn't get so much of the atrocious pill taste either.
~Sheila

boxer77
Regular User

Postby boxer77 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Im a little more than halfway done with the second round of flagyl.
Feeling much better, still have have soft stools, but no bleeding yay, still some mucus, and that nasty cdiff smell. But hey no fever and I even have worked a bit. I still get some pinching type pain on either side of my colon, but no cramps, never had cramps actully. I pray this 2nd treatment keeps me off it for good.
Im gonna chug down dan active and eat activia like its going out of style the day of my last pill. I have some pro biotic pills also.
There is always that chance of relapsing again, but I will be prepared if it does. I have found that keeping a right attitude, helps a lot, of course I had to go thru some rough times, but it made me stronger!
God Bless!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”