Not sure if C Diff or Not

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
TangoKath
Brand New Poster

Not sure if C Diff or Not

Postby TangoKath » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:01 pm

OK, new here. Have not been diagnosed as yet....

Let me tell you my story..I am a 35 yr old female..

Novemember of Last year I started having abdominal pains. Went to Dr. and was diagnosed with a UTI. Started on Cipro..I was a bad girl and quit taking the round before I had finished them 4 out of 7 days. The UTI Returned. I was put on Macrobid for 7 days...that did nothing...then back on Cipro. I finished the Cipro but 2 weeks later it was back again. Then I went on Levaquin for 7 days which knocked it down for 3 weeks. Back AGAIN on the macrobid then again on the Levaquin. Neither worked this time. I have been having severe abdominal pain for 3 weeks now and nothing seems to be helping. Have had another blood test and urine test..nothing there, had a CT scan and ultrasound..nothing. Dr. now is thinking it is my colon. She put me on the Flagyl 2 times a day for 7 days AND Cipro 2 times a day. Stools are soft, but not anywhere near diaharrea. The pain is with me all the time, but is much worse in the evenings and first thing in the am..until I have BM. Having one BM a day...
Noone can give me an answer. Dr. says if these dont work..colonoscopy is next. Does anyone out there have the Cdiff without the diaharrea?? Should I go ahead and get an appt. with a GI Dr or wait and see if the Flagyl helps? (Been on it one day). The pain is horrible and no pain killers seem to help..

Thanks!
T

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:05 am

TangoKath,
Read the first forum on the home page. It will give you info. on how to post on the site & how to navigate it. Read Dr. Borody's & Dr. McDonald's articles on C. diff. Also, read any pertinent topics in FAQ --esp. FAQ-UTI's.

We can't diagnose you on this site as it is a support site & not a medical one. We can tell you what worked for us. Yes, you've been on antibiotics than can cause C. diff. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.)

My personal (non-medical) opinion: If the pain continues, see a GI. If you are tested (stool test or a colonscopy) try to be off Flagyl or Vanco. for 10 to 14 days if possible because the meds. can negate the tests. (Some are so sick they can't get off meds.) If you do have colonscopy, ask your GI about biopsies -- they can be very helpful in a diagnosis.

Yes, you can have C. diff. w/o profuse diarrhea as C. diff. is a very individual diasease. If Flagyl works for you in 3 to 4 days, it would indicate you might have C. diff.

Always call your doc and/or pharmacist for pain. In the meantime, you might try Tylenol (easier on the stomach -- take with food) & a heating pad. A heating pad can be your best friend -- & no side effects. Stay hydrated. (See FAQ-Dehydration.)

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 pm

Tangokath

Sorry to hear about your situation. I only had the big D one night and never thought any thing of it until I started having abdominal distention, gurgling, frequent bowel movements (formed but soft) but when they turned yellow I began to wonder what was going on. One night I awoke to profuse sweating, very rapid heart beat, stood up and passed out, was rushed to the ER. Sent home of course telling me I was just ill!! RIGHT!
Rushed 2 more times to the hospital. Put me through a lot of tests and nothing showed up of course. Then finally a doctor said let's take a stool sample. Showed up with C Diff. I was not on any meds at that time.
Put me on Flagyl (drug from hell) which made me more ill but I suffered through it, 34 days to be exact. UGH... Then to Vanco plus Flagyl, that isn't a good combo what so ever. Finally went to a GI, he took me off the Flagyl, tapered me with Vanco to 3 a day for a week, 2 a day for a week, 1 a day for a week, I have now been off Vanco for 3 days and keep wondering am I over this or not?? Time will tell I guess. I wanted to let you know that when I did go on the Flagyl my bowel movements increased for some reason and turned completely yellow! I was so scared. Then when I quit the Flagyl for about 6 days later, BMS decreased and yellow went away. Vanco also gave me side effects. Some people say they don't have any side effects, I did and still do have some. I hope and pray for you. This is a serious thing to go through.
I have a colonoscopy scheduled with my GI for the beginning of April.
He told me you should not have any stool samples while on the meds, 14 days after is okay. ALso should not have a scope for at least 3 weeks after meds. Too many false negatives when on meds. Good luck and let me know how you are doing!
Jan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:44 pm

Jan,
Congrats. You found yourself "one smart doc." I can't tell you the # of people on this site who post that they tested negative while on meds. -- which their doctor knew. (I was one originally.)

This guy is a keeper. Would you get his name & his permission to post his contact info. on the site? So many docs. know little about this disease. Please give him our compliments.

Many people have problems while on Flagyl although it works fine for other with no side effects. A few have problems on Vanco. although not as many because it is supposed to go "straight to the gut" & is les systemic. Everyone is different, however.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:07 am

TangoKath,

You might ask your GI about a prescription for Bentyl, it totally eased my abdominal pain. It's not recommended with CDiff, but if OTC medicine doesn't help the pain, it's worth asking. It was a life saver for me and a few others on the site.

I had very similar symptoms to yours when this began in the fall of 2005 and went undiagnosed until I had surgery last summer and was given a form of Cipro. I did eventually have the d. for a couple days during a 4 month bout of bad stomach pain in 2005 but that was it, the rest was just terrible pain, distention, etc. I'd have never made it without the Bentyl.
~Sheila

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”