Maintaining a Job with C.diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jean
Brand New Poster

Maintaining a Job with C.diff

Postby Jean » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 pm

I've been newly diagnosed with c.diff. I've been off of work for over 5 wks and will be returning tomorrow. In the 5 wks I've been hospitalized for 4 days and put on Flagyl (10 days). I've relapsed twice after being off the drug for only 4 days. My PCP now has me on Flagyl for 20 days along with Cholestyramine 2x/day.

I'm really nervous about returning to my job for fear of relapse. I'm tired all the time and fear the stress of returning to work will aggreviate the c.diff. Anone out there currently working a full-time job with this problem?
Any encouragement is appreciated.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:38 pm

I worked thru two bouts of cdiff; and seem to have a bit of IBS still. Had two bouts of the big D at work twice in the past two weeks. I always carry a bottle of pepto bismal with me and take it the minute i feel the big D coming on. I am fortunate in that my boss is very understanding (although his bosses aren't) and I also have the ability to work from home.

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 pm

I worked for 2 years straight with c-diff. It was no big deal, as so long as I was taking vancomycin I didn't feel half bad. Had to leave mid-day a few times when I went off vanco and relapsed, but within a day of re-starting it I was inevitably fine again.

Personally, so long as you don't have a job where you'd put people at risk (e.g. hospital worker or elder care worker), I think it's a heck of a lot better to go to work than it would be to sit at home obsessing.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Jean,
I had C. diff. for 4 yrs. (extentuating circumstances -- additional infections) & worked most of the time except when I had a relapse off Vanco. or had another infection. I worked part-time (24 hrs. a week) but had a long commute. Working saved what was left of my sanity. I was fortunate to work across from the women's restroom.

I'd go to work but take preacautions. You might follow Mary T's suggstions; some docs. are now okaying Imodium for active (as well as inactive) C. diff. Know where the restrooms are in every store, business, etc. & be sure and use good hygiene to protect yourself & others. (See FAQ-Hygiene).

The hours will go much faster (and more pleasantly) if you are able to work. Good luck.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:10 am

Hi Jean,

I was off work for 3 months due to constant pain mostly, and relapses. When I could finally wear something touching my abdomen besides sweat pants, I went back part-time to start and that helped alot because I could 'work through' the fatigue and get built back up - which I tried to do at home before returning, the problem was they took me off all medicines at the same time and once I was off the vanco fatigue crashed in big-time (then mild relapse, then Questran). After a couple weeks I went back full-time.

I had terrible fear of getting sick at work for awhile...I kept envisioning spending 8 hrs in the bathroom unable to leave, unable to drive home, etc. It has turned out okay, and with every successful day the fear subsides more. Though, like others, I have had to leave early a couple times. I still fear having to travel for work...which I'll have to do in March. I have a 30 day supply of Vanco to take with me wherever I go but, for me, the vanco didn't kick in and begin working for a week, so that's still a fear.

I will say that going back to work helped me immensely! It got my mind off my problems and kept me busy and it was SO nice, after so many weeks at home, to see different walls and people! Returning to work helped me feel like I actually was going to make it, my life would become normal again, and feel like I had 'returned' to the living and wasn't just sitting at home waiting for life to resume 'one day'.

I'm very glad to be back at work! In my case, we were able to take the bathroom in the maintenance shop around the corner from my office and convert it to "mine." I manage housing for the elderly and was very concerned about using the public restroom... my wonderful maint. guys cleaned up that bathroom in the shop before I returned - put new tile in, and even found some pretty leftover wallpaper border and put it up in there - my "welcome back" gift! :)

Fear has so far turned out to be as big a beast as the beast itself sometimes....

~Sheila

izzy
Brand New Poster

Postby izzy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:49 pm

I am a business owner and am lucky that I am not under the scrutiny of a superior, since I have missed a lot of work. I have been taking Immodium AD, which was OK'd by my doctor (an internal medicine/infectious disease doctor) while awaiting test results and a colonoscopy. I finally had to do something because my business was loosing money and I was beginning to dissappoint my clients. I've read on the internet that taking anti-diarrhea meds. if you have C. diff. is ill advised. Is there a location on this site (or any site) to learn about the current thinking regarding Immodium? I can't imagine not taking anything, as the Immodium only controls the problem (4 or 5 trips to the toilet) as opposed to curing the problem (20+ trips). I know I won't get fired, but my business could easily fail. I am desperately hoping for a diagnosis and cure. Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 pm

izzy,
Afraid the "jury is still out" on this one. Some docs. say Immodium OK. Others say "no." Check the insert on the Immodium pkg. Someone recently told me it warned against taking with active C. diff. Also, check with your local pharmacist but believe you'll find he/she is reluctant to give an opinion. Check some of the medical web sites listed in the first forum.

I didn't take Immodium during active C. diff. (during that time, all docs. nixed it) but took Pepso -- tablets. They didn't help much. Vanco. usually controlled my symptoms -- unless I was relapsing when off it. I developed other health problems but still managed to work most of the 4 yrs. of my first bout with C. diff. I cut my hours back from 30 to 24 a week but had a long commute. I had my own office & worked across from the woman's rest room -- a plus.

Again, you'll have to make your own informed decision re. Immodium. Dr. McDonald's article says "Nay," but, again, other C. diff. experts say "yay." If you do take it (& you said your doc. okayed it), I'd use it on an "emergency basis" only.

I take it now for IBS & it's been a Godsend. Good luck. Let us know what you find out about Immodium. The original thinking was that it kept the toxins from leaving your body. Don't know if that is the rationale now or not.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:00 pm

I'd follow the doctor's suggestion unless you find it makes you more sick.

Immodium, Lortab, and anything containing codeine or codeine derivatives slow the motility (movement) of the bowels. I took Lortab the whole time, even when I was deathly ill, due to severe back pain (not caused by cdiff, but worsened by it) and didn't have any problems.
~Sheila

fedup
Brand New Poster

Maintaining a job

Postby fedup » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 pm

How are all of you dealing with loss of income? Some much longer than others? I had 20 sick days, used them all up and now have to go through the redtape of applying for government sick benefits. They are questioning why there was such a delay in my applying (you have 4 weeks) I did not know this and why would I know this? I had to give them a letter saying that if I was not suffering from severe diarrhea, I was on gravol because of the nausea of the antibioitcs, I don't know about you guys but I do little else but sleep and drool when on gravol. I also said that I couldn't drive, etc.etc. I am down a few thousand and will never get all of it back. There is so much more to this disease than diarrhea, if affects every aspect of your life. Damm you c.difficile.
fedup
Ontario, Canada
43 years old-female

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:12 pm

I was fortunate that I have the ability to work from home. However, my management is getting disgusted with how often I have to do that...or the days I go to work and get hit by diarea and have to go home. I believe I am cdiff free right now but am being tested this week for SIBO, fructose intolerance and there is some suspicion i am post infectious IBS. I try to stay at work and on those days I take pepto...as my doctor recommended it because it is an antibacterial.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm

fedup,
I agree with "Damn you, C. diff." It can be an awful disease physically, emotionally, & financially for the percentage of us who don't get "well" right away. AND few still know about it! It's still one of the best-kept secrets in medicine.

Things are improving, however. There is more interest in the disease because of the increase in cases, more treatments, etc. When my son first had it in l979, "no body knew nuthing." We were fortunate to find a ped. GI who did or I am sure my son wouldn't be here today.

st-leg
Brand New Poster

Just diagnosed and I am a nurse.

Postby st-leg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:39 pm

I am wondering when I can return to work too. I am a nurse and so far I have heard that I have to wait until I have 2 negative cultures. Does anyone know how long that takes and has anyone any information on healthcare workers returning to work? I just started on Vancomycin last Friday and probiotics. I am definately feeling better, but the diarrhea and pain continues although not as often.

labgirl
Contributor

Postby labgirl » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:12 pm

I am in the health care profession also and was out only 2 weeks but should have been longer. Check with your employee health department to see when they allow you to go back since you are a nurse and involved with direct patient care.Even with 2 negative cultures, the results can always be a false negative since you are on vancomycin. I do not deal with patients anymore, but did not have to produce a negative culture to come back, only had to state I wasn't having diarrhea anymore. That was almost a year ago and I'm in the process of tapering vancomycin at this time.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:18 pm

st-leg,
Since you deal with patients, I would be "extra careful" not to infect them.

Labgirl is right. If you are cultured while on Vanco. (or Flagyl), you are more prone to have a negative. You should be off meds. for 10 to 14 days (14 best) before being tested. See FAQ-Tests. C. dfif. is also very difficult to culture under the best of circumstances -- one reason for its name: difficule means difficult in Latin.

Once you are back at work, be extra careful about hygiene. You might contact the head of infection control & get his/her "take"on it. Once you are over major syptoms & on Vanco. for a couple of weeks, my non-medical guess is it would be OK -- unless you relapse. (Remember, 80% do recover with one to two rounds of meds.)

Wishing you the best. Please acquaint your fellow nurses about C. diff. There is still the quaint notion in many in the medical profession (including docs.) that C. diff is a disease of the old and otherwise ill & associated with nursing homes & hospitals. Not necessarily so!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”