What meds are safe for UTI's

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

What meds are safe for UTI's

Postby nsewell » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 am

I think I am coming down with an UTI! I have not had one in years. I go to the doc in a bit so i'll find out but I was wondering if anyone has takin meds for it and not got c-diff from them?? I read Macrobid and Bactrim? Which one works better and did you get c-diff?? I would like to take this info to the doc with me. I have been off meds for 4 1/2 months now and am scared to death to take another.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 pm

nsewell,
I asked my doctor and he said Macrobid shouldn't be a problem.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:35 pm

puremess
Thank you. I just got done at the doc. She was real awesome. They could only find 1-3 white blood cells in my urine so they are doing a culture. We will wait on that. This was my first time seeing her and she really listen!! I have been drinking cranberry juice and that could be fluching the bacteria out by itself she said.

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:06 pm

I use D-Mannose to PREVENT UTI's. I think I have prevented 2 of them this year since Bobbie told me about the product. It is supposedly more effective than cranberry!

It works on E. Coli which is responsible for the majority of UTI's.

Maybe you could try it too if you a prone to UTI's (as I am). It beats taking an antibiotic!
Amy

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Well I have feelling like crap lately. Dont know if its c-diff relapse or the flu. Now the doctor called and the culture came back positive for UTI. She is putting me on Bactrim since its a flagyl. She thought since I havent been feeling good this might work better?? I am soooo scared!!!

Crissie
Contributor

Postby Crissie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Drink Cranberry juice. That is supposed to help prevent UTIs. Get the 100% pure stuff I think you only need to drink 4 oz per day. It won't cure a UTI but I heard that it does prevent them.

I don't know if Bactrim is a C Diff offender...

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:41 pm

nsewell,
Haven't you read the FAQ section? There is lots of info. there about UTI's. D. Mannose seems to work for some; cranberry juice for others. Many on this site swear by both, & one prominent C. diff. expert recomends D. Mannose.

Also, see FAQ-Antibiotics. I don't undertand your statement "Bactrim since it's a flagl." Since you've had C. diff. (but have been "over" it for quite awhile if I remember correctly), you need to be more proactive re. your own health and do some research on your own. Call your pharmacist; check out the medical websites listed in the intro. PLS READ BEFORE YOU POST.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Bobbie,

I did look in the FAQ's. I also searched it all. I didnt need info on how to prevent the UTI but which med everyone thought would be safer for the c-diff and to see which one's people have tried.. Bactrum is a Flagyl. I had the flu so the doctor thought the Bactrum would be the better one since it also gets rid of bad bacteria in the colon.

Crissie
Contributor

Postby Crissie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:53 pm

I have heard that Macrobid is an ok antibiotic that is specific so no C Diff worries.

Crissie
Contributor

Postby Crissie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:01 pm

Bactrim and Flagyl are not the same meds.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Nicole,
Chrissie is right on both counts. Flagyl & Bactrim are not the same. Macrobid is considered a "safe" antibiotic if the infection is caused by E. coli. Make sure the doc. tests you before you accept any medication.

See FAQ-Antibiotics.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 am

I just received this article on a possible problem with warfarin (Coumadin) users and large amounts of Cranberry juice (often used for UTI's); thought it worth posting. I posted it in FAQ under UTI's also.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/545631

(must sign up to read, it's free though)

Sheila

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:53 am

Im just repeating what the doctor told me. Also the print out I got from the pharmacist says it also treats Bacterial infections in the intestines. She just thought that would be the better med since I had the stomach flu already.

Debbie

cranberry

Postby Debbie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 pm

I know this series of posts is about a month old, but I found when I was getting UTIs quite often cranberry did not help me prevent it. It was the antibiotic I was on for a prevention of UTI that I was "introduced" to c-diff.

I did have one more bout of the UTI once I was diagnosed with it about a month later. I was sent to the infectious disease doctor (so he can help for my recurrent UTIs) who diagnosed me with "honeymoon cystitis". I was getting UTIs every month. I had my last UTI in March which to me that's a miracle. Just wish I could have said so for c-diff, neither one is fun.

All my UTIs but maybe one had e-coli detected.

So I won't get graphic, and need to be listed in the "Too Much Information", you may look up under google search and look for honeymoon cystitis. I found a long article on one site for what helps and this has helped me tremendously. I did everything but few anyway. I also upped my acidophilus during the time I thought I was getting another UTI. Now take note, some of you may have already done this and it has not helped you, but it has helped me. And for the record, I am not a doctor, so check with your doctor to see if there is any recommendations in preventions.

This D-Mannose is this something you can get at a health food store? Even though I haven't had it since March, I need to check on this for my mom. I warn my mom all the time to be extremely careful since she gets them all the time (she's in her mid sixties) with the antibiotics. Hers is not honeymoon cystitis. I was told that UTI problems are not hereditary since she questioned it, which I don't know why she gets them as often as I did.

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:14 am

Yes - I get UTI's even though I go the bathroom before and after like they tell you to do. I take D-Mannose to try and prevent them. I ordered the NOW brand at Amazon since Wild Oats doesn't carry it. So far - so good - knock on wood!

I didn't start getting them until I became sexually active. And my husband doesn't understand why I MUST go to the bathroom - before and after - NO MATTER WHAT! He says it interrupts the mood. Well - too bad - my mood will be interrupted if I have to take an antibiotic! Oh how C. diff. changes things!
Amy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”