Possible strep

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Michelle7198
Contributor

Possible strep

Postby Michelle7198 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm

I have all the symptoms. They started yesterday and I work in a school system so it's highly likely. I'm going to call my doctor here in a few for a possible test since I'll need a work excuse. From what I'm reading you can treat with zpack or tough it out and not treat. I'm unsure what to do because I don't have enough sick days to miss work. So if I miss I won't get paid. If I take the antibiotic I can go back Wed. My throat is swollen with white patches and I have a fever and chills. Anybody make it through a zpack with no reoccurring of cdiff? Or tough out strep throat? Too add my last infection was 2014. I've taken doxy once with no occurrence but an oddly all night d event that went away the next day. Any advice appreciated

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible strep

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:07 am

Urgent care centers and some pharmacies have rapid strep tests that they can do. I would go and have one done to make sure that it is indeed strep and not a virus because the Zpak won't help if it is a virus. Many people have posted that they did okay with a Zpak. I took Bactrim a few months ago and did not relapse.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:59 am

I have read that a zpack didn't cause relapse in some people. I looked up Bactrim and it wasn't recommended for strep. I have a doctors appointment today. Day 3 of possible strep. I do believe it's strep though I have all the symptoms. My throat is swollen and white patches. It says untreated strep last 3 to 5 days. I don't see it letting up today. I still can barely swallow. Thank you for responding. I had to miss work today and I don't have many off days. If they offer the antibiotic I'll start taking it most likely. I am colonized I do know because I tested positive after treatment and negative for toxins back in 2014.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:26 pm

Just giving an update. It is strep and I'm going to take the antibiotic because my ear was starting to hurt with the swelling of my lymphnode. I got some florastor, kefir and cultural. Hopefully everything works out. Wish me luck.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 pm

I would take the antibiotic too. Strep is nothing to fool around with, especially in adults. I did not have a choice either as my infection was affecting my heart. Good luck to you and let us know what happens. Good to start the probiotics as well. Florastor you can take at any time, but space the kefir and culturelle apart from the antibiotic if you can as it will kill some of the good bacteria. Florastor is a yeast and it doesn't affect it.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:24 am

Thank you for your response. This board isn't as active as it used to be. I'm returning to work today. Hopefully all will go well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:21 am

Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Sending you healing wishes!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Hope it goes well. I’m on doxy, picked up a staph infection on my face, either at the gym or work. The infection has cleared on day 3 but I’ll take a few more days to be safe. In the 5 years since cdiff I’ve taken bactrim, a zpak and doxy and haven’t relapsed. Florastor, Greek yogurt and a super foods drink called BrickHouse nutrition. Stay positive.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:52 am

Thank you for your response. I've taken doxy before. That's one harsh antibiotic. Didn't upset my stomach but did make me very sun sensitive and made my throat hurt. So far I'm doing OK. I've completed my course and I'm 4 days out from my last pill. Last time I had cdiff it was about a month later that I got sick. So I'm going to continue to take probiotics and florastor for while. It's a different life after cdiff for sure. I'm going to look up Brickhouse drink. I have a gi appointment next week for other issues. So it will be nice to see an actual gi doctor vs a regular doc. I'll keep updating if anything goes crazy. Fingers crossed it don't

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:10 am

It hasn’t given me any of those side effects. I did wake up with a splitting headache today, but the temperature here in Ohio has dropped almost 40 degrees in 8 hours and a headache would be normal regardless of doxy. My GI back when I had cdiff from the university of Michigan recommended taking a probiotic for at least 2 weeks after antibiotics. Brick house (field of greens) is expensive, it’s just basically fruits and vegetables, but it really changed my life as far as energy and gut health is concerned. My wife who’s suffered from horrible ibs bouts for years hasn’t had one since. I almost wish it didn’t work due to cost. But then again I waste money on things that amount to nothing positive. If you do buy it I recommend the strawberry lemonade flavor. As far as probiotics go, I take Phillips colon health hours after taking an antibiotic and florastor at the same time I take it. I only take probiotics if I have to take AB as I think they’re kind of a waste when not needed. I simply eat Greek yogurt and oatmeal every morning and have no remnants of ever having cdiff, outside of nightmares and what ifs. Any stomach issues I’ve had seem to have been cured by my superfood drink, plus my hair and nails are growing like I‘be been eating fertilizer. My wife loves that part, as a guy, not so much.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:08 am

I’d also like to add that the nurse practitioner (filling in for my doc) I saw after a long talk about me having cdiff in the past says and I quote “I’m going to call you in keflex”. And you wonder why people get cdiff! Doxy supposedly has no effect on the stomach flora, according to an nih study, and is very effective against skin infections, as well as sinusitis. The lack of knowledge so called medical professionals possess at times is just dumbfounding.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:59 am

My mother had c diff a couple of times and was put on doxy for almost a month for a bad skin infection. She did not relapse.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”