Day 4 Zpak and WD/scared!!!!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
deb30
New User

Day 4 Zpak and WD/scared!!!!

Postby deb30 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:31 am

Ok, so I started the Zpak for a sinus infection caused by H Flu bacteria on Saturday. Yesterday evening-- day 4 out of 5-- I began WD and ran to the bathroom probably 8 times in 3 hours with it. I took some pepto bismol before I went to bed and a xanax chaser, so far (9:20am Chicago time), so good. However, my digestive tract is probably empty from all the D last night. I have standing orders from my GI for a stool culture and have the kit ready to go if necessary and ordinarily I'd wait the 3 days to see if this is just temporary from the zpak. I will not be taking day 5, that's for sure. But timing is everything, and I due to leave next Thursday on vacation. If it's the C Diff back again, I want to know asap so I can start on something for it. I'll see how today goes and my fingers are crossed that this was a temporary reaction, but the WD at least 8 times is not a good sign. Bobbie, I believe that you said that Dificid worked for you. If indeed this is back, do they ever do a Dificid taper that could last me through my cruise-- until March 6? Last year when we went on our winter cruise, I was on a vanco taper and down to 1 pill a day when we left. The doctor kept me on the 1 pill a day throughout the cruise and that worked very well. Of course, I spent each precious day worrying that the D would return while I was out to sea and counting the days until I returned home. What a way to spend a vacation. And here I am again.....
Dx Dec. '22 after having symptoms from a combination of Flagyl and Cipro for 2 weeks pre-surgery and IV Clindamycin during surgery. Vancomycin for 10 days, relapse 11 days later. Vancomycin long taper from beginning of Jan. '23 to May 1, '23.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Day 4 Zpak and WD/scared!!!!

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:06 am

Zpak stays in your system a long time and I remember that it gave me D even before I ever heard of c difficile. Hopefully, that is the case for you. It was Nancy who did the Dificid taper. You might try and send her a PM and ask about the details.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”