Can I get a recurrence 5 weeks post doxycycline?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
deb30
New User

Can I get a recurrence 5 weeks post doxycycline?

Postby deb30 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:46 pm

Hi all: I was about 8 months post C Diff when I was prescribed doxycycline for bronchitis that would not clear up in early December. The doxycycline did absolutely nothing- ended up at a pulmonologist Jan. 2, lung function test, etc., and then he put me on an inhaler with a steroid-- Arnuity. Feeling better. Along with the bronchitis, I've also had horrible sinus drainage and post nasal drip with gunky stuff for 3 months. Saw an ENT who said to ride it out with saline rinses. Anyways, I took the doxycycline for 10 days in mid December without incident. Last night/early this morning, I had bad bowel cramps and I've gone to the bathroom at least 6 times-- all very loose and watery. My post infectious IBS went from very loose stools after certain foods in the first few months to constipation since the end of October if I don't eat a high fiber diet. I've found that oatmeal and fresh pineapple loosens everything up every day so that I'm not constipated. Now I'm wondering if I overdid the pineapple yesterday or if I'm getting a recurrence 5 weeks after the last doxycycline pill. How long after the last antibiotic pill can you safely say that diarrhea isn't coming from that? We're leaving on a well-deserved vacation on Feb. 22 after the year from hell (C Diff, elderly dad dying in a house fire, taking care of mom....) and I don't want anything to screw this up!!! I'm scared.
Dx Dec. '22 after having symptoms from a combination of Flagyl and Cipro for 2 weeks pre-surgery and IV Clindamycin during surgery. Vancomycin for 10 days, relapse 11 days later. Vancomycin long taper from beginning of Jan. '23 to May 1, '23.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can I get a recurrence 5 weeks post doxycycline?

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:54 am

It is possible to relapse 5 weeks later, but doxy is a low offender. I just had a similar situation. I took Bactrim for 5 days in early December and the last week have had GI issues. I decided to test and my test thankfully was negative. If it keeps up, especially if you are traveling, you might ask to be tested to see if is c difficile. It could also be part of the infection that you have when you swallow a lot of that post nasal drip. Viruses are also going around. I would not panic, but if it keeps up, I would have a test done to make sure.

deb30
New User

Re: Can I get a recurrence 5 weeks post doxycycline?

Postby deb30 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:05 am

Thanks so much Beth! I'm monitoring the situation-- closer to normal today with just a little loose fluffy stuff afterwards. But then I did take valium last night to sleep, so maybe the valium slowed down my digestive tract. Who knows?
Dx Dec. '22 after having symptoms from a combination of Flagyl and Cipro for 2 weeks pre-surgery and IV Clindamycin during surgery. Vancomycin for 10 days, relapse 11 days later. Vancomycin long taper from beginning of Jan. '23 to May 1, '23.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”