Clindamycin 6 weeks & No Cdiff!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Di1964
New User

Clindamycin 6 weeks & No Cdiff!

Postby Di1964 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:29 am

I'm a 59 y/o immunocompromised female who had Cdiff in 2016 after taking a round of clindamycin. I got a fecal transplant 10/16 and have been good since. My infections increased several years ago but i was lucky enough to need doxy or bactrim. Then I also go MRSA in my face in 2018. Not good.

Worse, in 2022 I began getting mouth infections and ended up on Augmentin for weeks. Thankfully, my ID doc was willing to try me on full dose Dificid and then 10 days post and I never got Cdiff despite multiple rounds of Augmentin that year. I even did Rocephin and Invance at one point, all on full dose Dificid and never got Cdiff.

This year the infections started spread so we decided to try Clindamycin with Dificid so we could treat both the mouth infection and the MRSA at the same time rather than do 2 separate longer antibioitcs (Augmentin then a MRSA antibiotic). Sadly, due to multiple tooth infections and two root canals and then two crowns after that, all requiring antibiotics due to my immunocompromised issue, I was on it for 8 weeks. I did full dose dificid the entire time. I just finished 10 days of Dificid alone 10 days ago and I have no Cdiff. In fact, I felt good the entire time. I did eat healthy and did use VSL3 daily and kefir, but I still had coffee and normal food. My BMs are normalish. I feel great.

My ID doctor basically said "If you were on Vancomycin, you wouldn't have made it". Meaning, I would have died.

Dificid works. No one needs to get Cidff ever again and I'm living proof of that. I've been on SO many bad antibitoics and full dose Dificid adn never once got Cdiff over the past 2 year.

I had to find a doctor, any doctor, who was willing to offer full dose Dificid while on an offending antibiotic. I am living proof you do not have to get Cdiff. I am alive only because I BEGGED for Dificid and he listened. Now he agrees with me because he had never done this before. I stood up to him and brought in the articles showing the science behind Dificid. If he didn't listen I was going to try a concierge doctor service like MDVIP and begin my interview with saying I require Dificid or I won't join. I knew i wouldn't make it due to how many infections I keep having.

Be strong and don't be afraid to ask for the gold standard. I shake my head that people are forced to get Cdiff when the answer is out there and it's so simple. I do understand it is $5000 for 10 days and some insurance doesn't cover it but the generic version is only a few more years away. More amazing cures are coming too so I have so much more hope than i did in 2016 when I got Cdiff.

Wishing every one the very best. Please have hope and don't fear. You can beat this and overcome it even if you have terrible infections. The tide is turning and doctors are starting to listen! We are going to beat this. Be patient. It does get better. You can have a normal life again even if it's a bit of a new normal.

59 y/o female immnocompromised, colonized with MRSA as well, oral mucosal disorder with frequent mouth infections, currently on IVIG Gammagard 65 grams every 3 weeks.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Clindamycin 6 weeks & No Cdiff!

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:35 am

Wow, amazing story and so grateful to read this worked for you!! It is unique to each and everyone of us. This is the first time I have heard of someone taking Clindamycin....along with DIficid and not getting CDIFF. I would say you are very fortunate and yet SO SORRY for all that you have been through!!!! That is alot fo antibiotics!!

My case was very different. In 2014-2015 I had CDIFF for over a year. Vanco failed over and over. Dificid failed and then my GI put me on a LONG dificid taper. It saved me.....I was so very sick at the time.

In 2020 I got a serious UTI that quickly went Septic and had to be admitted for IV antibiotics. My GI put me on Dificid at the same time. I DID get CDIFF. I was very sick, very hrash to be on all these antibiotics and CDIFF was the worse. I spent several nights in the bathroom sleeping there. In my case it lasted a week and symptoms went away slowly as I continued on Dificid for 6 weeks and tapered down about 6 weeks. Finally I was able to get over it.

The journey is different for everyone. Wishing you continued HEALTH CDIFF FREE!!

NanciT

Di1964
New User

Re: Clindamycin 6 weeks & No Cdiff!

Postby Di1964 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:41 pm

Nancy, I'm so sorry for what you went through and you are right. Each person is different and there is no guarantee with this horrible disease. I have often read your posts and you have been an inspiration for me and so many others. Thank you!!!!

What has worked for me is to begin Dificid the same day as the antibiotic and on full two doses a day every day. By starting early, the bacteria never had a chance to multiply.

Taking the full 10 days after is essential.

I wish you and everyone else the best of health! We now finally have resources and more treatments than ever. I see hope on the horizon for this disease and pray someday there will finally be a cure.

Diana

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”