Antibiotics for Wisdom Teeth

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lex20
New User

Antibiotics for Wisdom Teeth

Postby lex20 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi everyone, I previously posted on here about 4.5 years ago. I had cdiff after taking kflex, several rounds of flagyl and then clindamycin for an infection. I relapsed numerous times over 6 months and finally had a FMT. That cured me and I have been fine ever since but have not taken any antibiotics. I now just had to get my wisdom teeth out last week and i told the surgeon about my history. I explained my concerns to him. Because my wisdom teeth were so impacted he said I needed some sort of antibiotic. He ended up giving me one high dose of Ancef (cefazolin). I did not get to research this before it was given. I’m assuming his thoughts were it would be better because it’s through and I’ve rather than oral. However, I am now terrified that I am going to end up with cdiff because it is a cephalosporin. I have been fine so far (it’s been about 5 days) and have been taking florastor every day since. However, just wondering if anyone has gotten IV ancef before and did you relapse? How long should I worry about relapsing?
Any input would be great. Thanks so much.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Antibiotics for Wisdom Teeth

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:59 am

Currently in same boat! They gave me iv ceftriaxone in hosp (as well as 2 other abx) despite me saying about C Diff history. I am feeling really unwell and have D but bc I had the other two types as well, I can’t say which is likely causing my symptoms. They started after about 10 days.

If you only had one dose and have been C Diff free for all that time, hopefully you’ll get away with it. Keep hitting those probiotics!
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

lex20
New User

Postby lex20 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Thanks for your response! I ended up going to get tested tonight for reassurance. I was having solid stools yesterday but then I started having a lot of mucus and then had a little diarrhea with urgency this morning. I took pepto bismol to get through my work day and didn’t really go again until tonight. Same thing a tiny bit of mucus-y stool. I’m not sure what this is. I haven’t had this happen in years so that’s why cdiff is coming to mind. If my test is positive, I’m thinking it is a much more mild infection and easier infection to treat than I experienced before.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:59 am

I know there are other posters who have had Ancef. That is a very common antibiotic to give before a surgery. I would think that one dose should not make you relapse. I get loose stools from Florastor, so maybe that is what is causing your problem.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”