Scary!!!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Steffi
Contributor

Scary!!!

Postby Steffi » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:33 pm

Dears,

I just read the following new cdiff personal story on Peggy Lillis Foundation website:

https://peggyfoundation.org/story/beth-w/

As a result, I am terrified, please, someone to say that it is not the usual and common scenario for the rest of the life of someone like us who already had the bad luck to contract the beast ... Please, any comments will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance:
Steffi

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Scary!!!

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:25 pm

As we all know, antibiotics can cause CDIFF. Once you have had it, you need to be cautious in taking them. SOme will taken them and be fine, other not. I recall taking Keflex for a UTI months after having CDIFF for a year. I did fine, that was 2014-2015.

I landed in the hospital in 2020 with Sepsis...so there was no choice and I was given IV antibiotics. I did get CDIFF. I was given Vanco in the hospital and also probiotic...but still got it. I did go on a Dificid Taper which is the only thing that cured me in 2015...and it worked.
My experience was NOTHING like the first time. I worked though it.........

Try not to let the stories get to you.....focus on your good health now, take good care

NanciT

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:39 pm

Thank you very much, Nanci!

I appreciate your time to answer me, I feel better now!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 pm

My mother was in her late 80s and got c difficile in a rehab facility. She had it twice if I remember. In the following years she had to take antibiotics on multiple occasions and never got a relapse, despite her age. She did take a daily probiotic, so perhaps that helped her.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:25 am

Thank you very much, Beth!

I am really thankful to this support group and the willingness of the people here to help and support emotionally.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:53 am

Can you become immune to an FMT? I had 20-30 episodes a day and drove myself to the ER at 3 AM and cdiff was the 1st thing they tested for. No way could I have worked either. That many trips to the can takes a serious commitment. I’ve taken antibiotics, bactrim, doxy and recently a zpak but didn’t relapse thank god.
Last edited by D1dad on Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:30 am

Thank you for replying, D1dad,

As far as I have understood from your previous posts, you are currently working and doing generally well, right? I am asking because I am about to start a new job and just want to be able to work and live a normal life ...

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:25 am

Yes doing very well. Unlike some, I came away pretty unscathed. The surgeon who recently did my colonoscopy said he saw no evidence it ever happened. I’m on day 4 of our annual key west vacation and living life to its fullest. Yesterday consisted of WAY TO MANY adult sodas along with steamed clams, gulf coast shrimp and oysters. I take no probiotics but do eat oatmeal and Greek yogurt with psyllium powder every morning. I workout 5-6 days a week also. Cdiff rocked my world like many on here but didn’t break me. I got exactly what I deserved for demanding antibiotics for every sniffle. I also work for a company that deals with hospitals and LTC facilities so I ate someone’s chit at some point and the rest is history. I’m just hoping that it’s gone and not colonized. So far so good.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 am

Sounds great, D1dad, thank you so much for sharing!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:56 am

D1dad - Glad you are doing well and enjoying your family vacation. Thanks for posting. It gives hope to many who are still struggling.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:05 am

Thanks Beth. No guarantees that at some point I won’t be back on here asking for support…I hope not! But for those who are struggling, have faith. It’s been over 4 years since and I honestly don’t give it a second thought most days. and surely no second guessing what I eat. The ONLY positive I can take away from cdiff is the ability to eat like a moose and never gain weight. No clue as to why though. Pisses my wife off to no end lol.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:47 pm

I have read that gut bacteria has to do with weight gain. There was an experiment that people who got FMT from an obese person, then also got obese. They are still researching the how and why, but it seems to be the case in some studies, so I assume the reverse can be true too. Certain gut bacteria help a person to not gain weight. It is interesting and hopefully research will provide some answers.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”