Prescribed Flagyl for tooth extraction?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Alisha
New User

Prescribed Flagyl for tooth extraction?

Postby Alisha » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 pm

Hey everyone! Hope your all doing good and staying heathy!

I had my tooth extracted on thursday march 16th and as a caution was prescribed metronidazole (flagyl) for 7 days. Ofcourse i didnt take it cause im scared and now today the dentist has advised me that i should probably take it due to having a sore throat now.

I know flagyl can or was used to treat cdiff and some of you have taken it. I took vanco. Is flaygl okay to take? Can someone please calm my anxiety!!!! Flagyl wouldnt cause me to havr cdiff right? Because its “used” to treat it or can i still acquire it through flagyl because its an antibiotic :(

Just looking for a little info or reassuring
Alisha. 33yr old. Cdiff free since April 15 2019.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prescribed Flagyl for tooth extraction?

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:48 am

Flagyl is no longer prescribed to treat c difficile and it can cause it, but is less likely than other antibiotics to do so. Why do you need that for a sore throat? Sore throats are usually viral as far as I know. Did anyone culture your throat?

Alisha
New User

Postby Alisha » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:45 am

Hey! Thanks for replying!

No it was an antibiotic prescribed for me since i had a tooth extracted! They usually prescrive clindamycin which is a big no no, or penicillin which im alergic too!

So he prescribed flagyl metronidazole as a caution for invection after extraction. I was stating that 2 days after extraction i developed a sore throat which could indicate tooth infection so he advised me to take it!

Im just extremely worried about causing cdiff again with this medication! & wasnt sure if it was a high offender since ppl used to take it for cdiff in the past.

Has anyone maybe taken it with no recurrence and been successful treating something else? Or have you read that anywhere on the flatform?

Thanks sooo much
Alisha. 33yr old. Cdiff free since April 15 2019.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:24 pm

Some people tolerate antibiotics after c difficile and others don't. I still don't get why the dentist wanted to give you an antibiotic to prevent an infection. None of the dentists I know do that. When my husband had teeth extracted, no antibiotics were prescribed. One tooth had some infection and the dentist cleaned the area and gave him Peridex mouth rinse to use. My daughter had wisdom teeth pulled and no antibiotics were prescribed. I would make sure that you really have an infection, but that is me. Flagyl is a low offender.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:06 am

If I were you I wouldn’t take it without knowing I had a proven bacterial infection. It’s such a sledgehammer approach. You could wait and see if you start to feel better? If it turns out to be an infection you can always take them, but if not you can’t untake them.

This talks a bit about antibiotic prophylaxis:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibiotics/uses/

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:15 pm

Your dentist prescribed 7 days of flagyl and probably a lower strength than prescribed for c. Diff
That duration and dosage does not kill c. Diff!
It CAN cause it though because it's broad spectrum and kills the gut flora.

A good knowlagable dentist does not prescribe antibiotics "just in case" and to say a sore throat might be caused by infection following tooth extraction is madness!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”