Colonized With C. Diff - Toxins A and B Positive

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Avalon18
Regular User

Colonized With C. Diff - Toxins A and B Positive

Postby Avalon18 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:33 pm

It's been almost a year since my second episode of C. Diff, which was treated with Dificid/Fidaxomycin and a Zinplava/Bezlotoxumab monoclonal antibody infusion. I had what was probably food poisoning early last month, and although diarrhea stopped, I test positive for C. Diff toxins A & B. I now have IBS and unpleasant symptoms, including stomach pain, but no diarrhea. My doctor is holding off on a new round of C. Diff treatment, as I have no diarrhea.

We have discussed FMT, but that is very, very difficult to obtain here in Florida now, so the new pills with laboratory prepared microbiome organisms may be an option if they're available. I see that FMT was an option for Corinne. Is there anyone else testing positive for toxins out there? Has anyone heard about the availability in the US of the new pills? Seres SER-109 may have FDA approval in April 2023. Another one called RBX2660 from Ferring just received approval in September.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonized With C. Diff - Toxins A and B Positive

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:16 am

A few years ago, I was given antibiotics IV in the hospital and a few weeks later got D and tested positive for the toxins as well. By the time the test came back, the D had subsided and my doctors said not to treat. I had IBS off and on as well, but did not treat and eventually tested negative. It took a long time though. You might want to hold off if you are not having any D and your body may take care of it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:46 pm

Testing positive even with toxins is NOT C.diff colitis!
If there's no host response of diarrhea then there's no disease.

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:38 pm

I see that the Ferring RBX2660 is still in clinical trials, so that won't be available soon, either.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”