Antibiotics needed for diverticulitis

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lhouse20
Brand New Poster

Antibiotics needed for diverticulitis

Postby lhouse20 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:40 pm

I had c diff five years ago after taking a ten day course of clindamycin to treat a brown recluse bite. I have avoided antibiotics since then. Last night, I was diagnosed with mild, uncomplicated diverticulitis. The ER doctor prescribed IV Zosyn and oral Augmentin. I asked him about taking them since I previously had c diff and he pretty much blew me off. Well, I didn’t take either of them and have a call in to my PCP. My abdominal pain has really improved this morning and I have not had fever during the whole course of diverticulitis. Have any of you had diverticulitis after c diff? How was it treated?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotics needed for diverticulitis

Postby NanciT » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I HIGHLY recommend you either call or see your GI, or get hold of your PCP. It's important not to try and treat yourself. A GI would be preference.

These infections are tricky to treat, who knows what your WBC count is....it could be high. You don't want this to get worse

Call your doctor

NanciT

lhouse20
Brand New Poster

Postby lhouse20 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:25 pm

I actually just talked to my PCP as I still have not been able to get in with GI. I’m hoping that changes after this new diagnosis. He reviewed my labs and imaging and said that it would be ok to forego the Augmentin for now due to how mild the diverticulitis is. I am going in to see him next week and will start the Augmentin if my symptoms worsen or I start running fever.

Shanon
Brand New Poster

Postby Shanon » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 am

An antibiotic for diverticulitis is a serious and important choice, as is a healthy diet. It is important to note that it does not contain laxative molecules, while at the same time helping to create softer stools and make bowel movements easier. This means that your (inflamed) diverticula rub less. This means less pain.
It is important to understand what you can eat with diverticulitis and what you can not eat.
If you take the right antibiotic and follow a diet, then the pain should go away.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”