Had C.diff 4 years ago, need a minor surgey and they want to give me antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
schism
Regular User

Had C.diff 4 years ago, need a minor surgey and they want to give me antibiotics

Postby schism » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

I had C.diff ~4 years ago and posted on this forum back then. I need a minor surgery to remove a mass in my groin and they want to give me a single shot of antibiotics just before the surgery to prevent any wound infections.

The incision will be about 1in and the surgery will be for ~30min.

They said the antbiotic is Ancef (or NSEF?).

I am trying to determine if I should refuse this preventative antibiotic. What are your thoughts? The doctor told me if I didn't do it and got an infection then I'd need a longer course and that would be more likely to cause c.diff than the single shot dose would.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Had C.diff 4 years ago, need a minor surgey and they want to give me antibiotics

Postby NanciT » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:21 pm

Do you gave a GI or ID you can check with?

It's impossible to know if you will get CDIFF. Some on the site have taken a entire course of antibiotics and did not get CDIFF. I was in the ER and given a dose of antibiotics....and did get CDIFF although they gave me Vanco also. This was 5 years after I had the original case of CDIFF.

Its hard to know. It sounds like the surgeon feels its important, check in with your GI.

Good luck with the procedure

NanciT

schism
Regular User

Re: Had C.diff 4 years ago, need a minor surgey and they want to give me antibiotics

Postby schism » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:16 pm

The GI doctor here would not be helpful at all. He would 110% say yes take the antibiotic and not give it even 10sec of thought.

I totally understand there is no way to know if it will cause cdi. I’m just trying to determine what the best risk-reward option is to go with and maybe what else I should do before and after surgery to help avoid CDI.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:48 pm

It might help to get on probiotics now, then if you decide to get the shot I do believe that can help.

I had a terrible year with CDIFF in 2014-2015 and was finally cured by a Dificid taper. I was sick for a long time.

In 2020 when I was given the IV antibiotic in the ER, I did get CDIFF but now have an ID who gave me a Dificid taper right away. I worked through it and the treatment
It was a very different experience with the knowledge I have now and right doctor willing to review my history and give me what worked for me.

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 am

I have had 2 surgeries since having c diff and both times received 1 Gram of Ancef IV with no recurrence of c diff. I did take Florastor twice daily before and for a few months after each time.
Everyone has to make their own decision about what is best and whatever decision you make will no doubt cause you anxiety. The second surgery I refused a longer prophylactic course of antibiotics and worried about that but thankfully it turned out fine.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:50 am

I had 2 surgeries after c difficile and did not take any antibiotics for either. The surgeons were okay with it. The first was a parathyroid surgery where they cut open my neck and removed a parathyroid gland that had an adenoma and took biopsies of two others. The second surgery was later that same year and it was a lumpectomy on a breast. For that one I was told to use this special liquid soap the night before and wash with it and then also the morning of the surgery. I did not get an infection with either surgery.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”