May need Clindamycin for jaw infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Di1964
New User

May need Clindamycin for jaw infection

Postby Di1964 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:28 am

I had Cdiff 5 years ago and recovered with a FMT. I am on IV Rocephin day 3 of 7 for a jaw infection day 3 and Dificid so I'm doing ok.

I'm not sure this is working and the next treatment will be Clindamycin. Has anyone ever had to go on it again? How does one get through it. I understand this is life or death only.

Thank you guys. You've been so helpful to me over the years giving people hope when they need it.

58 y/o female. Cdiff in 2016 failed Flagyl, Vanco. FMT successful.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: May need Clindamycin for jaw infection

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:59 pm

I assume your ID dr is still involved and you have had a C&S test done before the Rocephin was started. It is pretty powerful stuff so I would give it a chance to work and be hopeful that it will do the trick. As far as clindamycin goes, it is what caused my c diff and as you say, it is for life and death only. If I were you, with any antibiotic I would be on Florastor for a couple of months afterward as well as before and during. While no proof, there is some feeling that it might help so I do anything that that is a possibility for help.

Best of luck for a full and c diff free recovery.

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:55 pm

Yes, the ID doc is involved and he did a sinus culture but that does not guarantee it represents the bacteria in my jaw. Sometimes they have to make a best guess.

I'm fine on the Rocephin as I'm on the Dificid so thank God for that.

I'd just like to hear someone else made it through Clindamycin.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:18 pm

We have many posters who have gotten CDIFF from Clindamycin and I have not seen anyone on the site who took it after they had a history of CDIFF. It's very hard to know how antibiotics will affect someone.

I would speak with your ID about how long to stay on the Dificid.

I was in the hospital on IV Rocephin for 2 days along with Vancomycin. I did get CDIFF when I got home although I started Dificid when I got home. I had symptoms for 4 days until the DIficid kicked in, I did a long taper of Dificid and did recover much easier than the CDIFF I had originally ( 2014-2015) which I had for a year.

Wishing you the best, hopefully none of this will be an issues and you will quickly recover from the infection.

NanciT

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:08 am

Nancy, thank you for that info. I'm on day 7 of IV Rocephin but on Dificid the whole time. He wants me to do 10-14 days of IV Rocephin. I'll do 10 days of Dificid after.

It is so helpful to know others have had to do IV antibiotics and recovered. Your point is so helpful. With Dificid, it's much easier than when we got Cdiff 5 years ago and dealt only with Vanco.

I'm so thankful for this group and just shared trauma and success.

I'll update you when I'm on the other side of this.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:40 am

How is it going with this treatment?

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:51 pm

I am a walking miracle.

Two weeks of Rocephin
Two weeks of Augmentin
Three weeks of Bactrim

NO CDiff!

I stayed on full dose Dificid the entire time plus 10 days and although I was really sick, my BMs were fine.

Thank God I had a doctor who allowed me to go on full dose Dificid. He even said I would have never made it on Vanco.

The hard part is getting the script for Dificid. Just say, "I'm going to need some Dificid" and if that doesn't work, try another doctor.

Best of luck. I now have a stash of Dificid for the next time.

Thank you Lord for doctors who listen and answered prayer. I now no longer fear Cdiff.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:50 pm

Thankful to read this!! I am so happy you were able to take the DIficid along with the antibiotic. It is ROUGH! My ID insists that is the only way I can be on an antibiotic. I have some old ones....but keep them anyway at the cost of those pills!!!

Very happy for you, continued Wellness!!

NanciT

Di1964
New User

Postby Di1964 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Nancy,

YES. I'm gathering a stockpile for the next time.

I wish someone had told me that you can go on these horrible antibiotics (Augmentin was even worse than Rocephin) and not get Cdiff if you take Dificid the whole time and 7 days later. Thank God I had a friend who told me about it and this board has been a God send.

Now we just need to educate the doctors. Only a 3 more years before Dificid has a generic option so I'm holding out for that.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 pm

I was just looking that up last week! It is a nightmare getting it if you need more than one round like I do. I am forced to pay for it. There was a recent article stating Dificid is clearly better than Vanco and the research showed there were far less recurrences. The insurance companies are running the show....even doctors are being told what to give and how by the insurances. It is insane.

Can't wait for it to become generic.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”