A few questions about treatment, diet, and moving forward.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Matrix
New User

Re: A few questions about treatment, diet, and moving forward.

Postby Matrix » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:33 pm

An update for everyone.

Its been a rough patch since my last update. My mother had a mini stroke and they found a blockage in her heart so she had to have surgery.

A week after i was having chest pains and went to the er twice where they couldn't find anything wrong with my heart but they think i may have gerd even though i've lost 70 lbs due to the cdiff.

On monday my gp tested me again for cdiff and it came back positive for a/b nucleic acids even though i don't have the diarrhea and my weight has been pretty stable. I still have the bloating in the left flank unfortunately, some days are better than others.

My gp has recommended i see a gi at this point. I'm assuming they're going to want to do a colonoscopy or endoscopy (or both) to see whats going on.

I'm trying to juggle this as my mother had to go back into the hospital because the doctors prior to releasing her did not regulate her medication properly and because of that has acute kidney failure on top of everything.

The depression and amount of stress is pretty insane right now. Really trying to figure out how to process and cope with everything.

Anyway, i'll keep everyone updated once i get more news. Will a gi better be able to help me get past this whole cdiff nightmare or gerd or whatever it may be that i have now?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:35 pm

A GI or an ID Infectious disease doc.,Am sorry about your mom. No wonder your stress is stupendous.

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15 pm

Okay so another quick update and yet another question.

I was able to get an appointment with a gi on the 25th of august (they're all booked unfortunately)

So i have to wait a month right now.

I'm having stomach cramps but i'm having normal movements, no D unless i take my probiotics.

The stomach cramping thing is new. Depending on how i shift when i move i get a sharp burning like pain in my left or right flank and sitting up or sitting down i'll get a pain under my belly. I'm not sure if thats normal territory for this or not.

Other than that thank you for all the well wishes its been an absolute hellish 40th year.

They're still doing tests on ma but thankfully they were able to restore kidney function.

The question i have is is there anything else i can do to be proactive against the cdiff while i wait for my appointment with the gi? Fermented foods etc?

I just don't want this rotten disease to do any damage.

Any help or suggestions are more than appreciated.

Thank you all so much for you time and support.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 pm

I would be careful adding anything right now with the cramps. You are taking probiotics and that is probably the best. Keep a close eye on the diet and see if it helps cramps by going bland and keeping things simple.

Sorry about your Mom and I hope she is doing better, it is such a worry.

I am sure the stress of it all is not helping

Feel better soon

NanciT

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 am

Another update.

Doctor is trying to get my insurance to cover dificid. If that doesn't work i may try the assistance program they have being i honestly can't afford 5k for 20 pills.

I'm trying my best to stay positive.

The cramps feel more like a burning sensation when i shift or stand up or sit down.

Hopefully we can get the prescription okayed soon or if all else fails possibly a second course of vanco.

I'm not in any immediate danger while waiting for the antibioitics am i? I'm just asking cuz ya know anxiety rides high while your in limbo.

Thank you for all your support so far and your continued support.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 am

If the pain gets bad or you start getting profuse watery D, contact the doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:29 am

Anything except watery D is part of recovery.
Treating if you don't have D Is not normal and might cause harm.

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:13 am

Thanks guys for the replies.

See thats whats been bugging me threw all this. I don't have really any D at all. Not losing weight anymore either.

Its just these really odd stomach pains, specifically the one under the belly which is really damn annoying. Literally hurts when i sit up or sit down too fast or even shifting when sleeping.

My gp is asking me to do an ultrasound as well so i wonder if that will show anything.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:25 pm

Sounds like your Dr is treating the test result and not assessing the patient!
C. Diff is a common and normal gut bacteria.
If it over grows and our gut reacts to it by producing copious watery D that does not resolve on its own (like most often do) then treatment might be needed.
If symptoms don't match test results then a positive test does not indicate active disease and certainly does not indicate the need for antibiotics.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:52 pm

Doing an ultrasound won't hurt. It can show if you have gall stones or some other type of issue. I agree with Roy that this does not sound like a c diff issue. It may be PI-IBS, but an ultrasound can't hurt to see if anything else is going on.

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 am

Another update.

Insurance okay dificid. Gp recommended i start the course being i still had the constant left flank pain, the positive test, and my white blood cell count was at the same level it was when i first got cdiff.

I just took my last pill. Flank pain is gone. Dificid makes me a fairly tired and slight stomach cramps but other than that i don't think anything serious.

They told me to get off of align while i was taking the dificid but to stay on the florastor.

My gi appointment is on thursday.

I'm hoping this does the job this time around.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:59 pm

Glad you are doing better. Let us know how you progress.

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:30 am

Another update.

Saw the gi. He ordered a ct scan of my abdomen and pelvis and also a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the 19th.

He doesn't think it is cdiff and said i could be a carrier but not have the disease.

He's concerned about the 75 lb weight loss over 6 months and also took blood for some other tests.

I'm kind of scared at this point, not sure what to think if its not cdiff?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:54 am

Just take one day at a time. I also had a complete workup after c diff and nothing was found except elevated pancreatic enzymes and I had SIBO. Good to check everything for your peace of mind though.

Matrix
New User

Postby Matrix » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:21 pm

Another update.

I had a ct scan a few weeks ago and monday i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

They found 2 polyps which were removed, both benign.

I was diagnosed with gastritis and diverticulosis.

The Gi thinks i'm a cdiff carrier but i don't have an active disease.

Aside from a diet change i haven't been prescribed anything yet. They suggested a ppi like Prilosec, but It had very bad side effects (Gave me psychotic nightmares) so waiting to see if there's something else.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”