How do I take antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
devo343
Contributor

How do I take antibiotics

Postby devo343 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:47 pm

So im potentially dealing with another infected tooth for some reason every tooth I get filled ends up getting infected.despite different dentists and the cavities being small. How do I take antibiotics with it being so soon after dealing with cdiff is there any low offending ones that can usually take care of a tooth infection or should I just get to a endodontist.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: How do I take antibiotics

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:14 pm

You may want to see an endodontist but also contact your GI and ask them to advise you. If you have an ID that is even better.

There are some antibiotics that are "safer" than ohters but all can cause CDIFF. I used an oral rinse for a tooth infection I had in the past but only your dentist/endodontist knows the extent of your infection. Some must be treated with antibiotics. I am sure they have done xrays to determine this.

Hope you are better soon

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:47 am

There is an antibiotic rinse called Peridex that can be helpful altho probably not for more severe infections. I use it every time I have my teeth cleaned. It is a script med so ask your dentist About it.

Good luck!!!

devo343
Contributor

Postby devo343 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:18 pm

im going on monday hopefuly to have it looked at the pain is not that bad its acutaly very very dull and im not having a fever so im not sure if a infection is there or not or the tooth is just still healing its only been 8 days since ive had it done.if i had to go on antibiotics again what would you guys recomend im gonna mention if a mouth rinse would help calm it down or prevent it from spreading until i can get to a endo. Im still working on getting a GI doctor after all this. Ive also read Zpaks are very low offending

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:56 pm

Fat face, inflamed hot and painfull or bad local swelling might need an antibiotic.
Dentists are notorious for handing out antibiotics that are not needed.
What you describe probably does not need treating but because your visiting the dentist their thoughts are that you expect them to do something.
NO WAY WOULD I take antibiotics for a very very dull tooth pain.
It's very likely just pressure from the new filling.
I think all the other moderators would think the same.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Agree with Roy.Caution. BUT be armed with alternative info. I developed osteomyelitis from a wrongly extracted tooth. You don’t want that.

Follow Nancy’s advice. X rays should help determine infection,

I have tolerated a Z pak several times- but for pneumonia.

Keep posting. We care,

devo343
Contributor

Postby devo343 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:27 am

Im still debating on whether or not going on monday its not that painful its been 5 days of this now and it does not hurt anymore then usual. Ive checked my temp constantly because im anxious and its been anywhere from 98.4 to 99.8 which the highest one made me worry. i think if i allready had a fever i would be in alot more pain but im not sure. Its still very irritaed and senstive to any stimuli but the pain doesn't linger. im not sure whats going on i was hoping to just go in they do a xray to see if there is a internal abscess if not then it just needs more time.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 am

If you do see the dentist and he thinks you need an endodontist and wants to give you prophylactic antibiotics in the meantime, I would not take them. I have been in that position more than once and spoke to the endodontist who told me not to take them and that he could clean out the infection when he did the root canal and that’s what happened twice. Of course, you have to have the identical situation and have to be in touch with everyone to make sure you are safe.

devo343
Contributor

Postby devo343 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:12 am

Went in today she doesn't think it was infected just based on how little pain I'm in and how the pain starts she pinpointed it was a high filling and drilled it down Abit and my bite feels better that's a bit of a relief that's its probably not an infection

devo343
Contributor

Postby devo343 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Having sensitivity in that tooth when I drink cold water which has kinda set off my anxiety abit but it's only been 2 days so idk just Abit freaked out again because this was how the previous tooth infection started was tooth sensitivity before the pain

devo343
Contributor

Postby devo343 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:14 pm

Got more filled and a similar situation is occuring I hope this one isn't turning into an infection either if it is im terrified and really hope a mouth rinse or similar will keep it under control till I can get to a endodontist

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Having fillings done does not cause infections!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”