Calprotectin Test/C Diff/ Pregnancy

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Calprotectin Test/C Diff/ Pregnancy

Postby healthys » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:35 pm

Hello All,

I tested positive for C diff by PCR ( the hospital here doesn't do the second step EIA test) and stool calprotectin is showing 170 microgram/g. Cut off is 160 mcg/g for normal. I have not taken antibiotics as I am having some formed BMs and some loose during the day. I go about 3 times a day. When the symptoms started I was going between 3-5 times a day starting with formed BMs getting to loose over the day and some cramping and a lot of bloating and gas which has reduced a bit over the last week. I am 33F and trying to get pregnant after 2 miscarriages last year (had to do D&Cs for both). I had a bowel resection surgery in fall 2020 due to a misdiagnosed ruptured appendix which cause a lot of inflammation in surround areas requiring a bowel resection ( removal of terminal ileum, cecum and ileocecal valve more than an appendectomy ). That had lead to c diff infection and was treated using vanco for 10 days in Nov 2020.

My OB GYN has said that I have no issues fertility wise or specific reasons for miscarriages after doing tests and has asked to go ahead with trying.

What I am worried about it is that calpro is high, I may be asked by my gastro to do colonoscopy to check for IBD and colonoscopy scares me. I have this fear that it may cause issues with conceiving/fertility.

Should I take the dificid that's sitting at home which I picked up, even though I am having some formed BMs? And that might automatically treat cdfiff as well as bring down the calpro numbers. Or should I go for colonoscopy to see if there are other issues like IBD. Either way I am just nervous and scared. And all I want to do is focus on starting my family after all the ordeals of last 2 years.

Any one especially women that could help guide/advice or share their own experiences?

Thank you so much!

roy
Administrator

Re: Calprotectin Test/C Diff/ Pregnancy

Postby roy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:52 pm

If your worried that a colonoscopy is going to stop you getting pregnant you need to have a serious word with your husband!
He is doing it all wrong!

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm

I appreciate the humor roy. But having already gone through an open abdominal surgery for bowel resection that would have caused adhesions, colonscopy could poetntially cause irritation or issues and since rectum and colon are close to cervix and uterus, it makes me feel nervous given the history of miscarriages. I do understand fears are just fears but any help with experiences would help.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:19 pm

No problem.
Complex medical questions should be directed towards your Dr but if your symptoms are improving and do not indicate an active c. Diff infection then treatment is "probably" not indicated.
Regardless of test results C. Diff is only a disease if it causes D.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”