2 weeks into c diff and not seeing releif

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LesPain
Brand New Poster

2 weeks into c diff and not seeing releif

Postby LesPain » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:04 pm

I am a 66 year olf woman who has always been relatively healthy, eat well and excersie at least 5 days aweek. On December 31, 2021 I entered the ER with appendicitis . My appendix was removed without incident and I was sent home immediately. However, the ER pumped with with IV antibiotics before the surgery. I was tested for c diff on Jan 11th and it was positive and I have been on Vanco 4 x daily for 14 days. Today is day 11. I still have terrible D with blood, all night cramping, can't eat that much. In the 11 days on the meds I had 2 days without D and I thought I was turning a corner but yesterday I went back into feeling horrible. I eat very little, only bananas, saltines, white bread toast and tea.
Any suggestions for my recovery would be helpful.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 weeks into c diff and not seeing releif

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:15 pm

If you are still seeing bleeding, I would definitely call the doctor to report that. Usually that gets better with treatment for c difficile. Check to see if it is related to your surgery. Are you on 125mg or 250mg doses of vanco? Usually the lower dose is effective, but in severe cases the higher dose is needed.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 weeks into c diff and not seeing releif

Postby georgina » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:15 pm

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Definitely talk to your physician about your symptoms and ask to revise the dosage,maybe it needs to be raised to 250 mg x4/day. Most people respond well to Vanco (at 125 mgx4/day) , and by the 6 th day into treatment their symptoms are controlled .There are also other options of treatment such as Dificid if Vanco doesn't help.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”