EIA Test

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mjc225
Brand New Poster

EIA Test

Postby mjc225 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 pm

How accurate is the EIA test? Can it produce false negatives? I have had symptoms and EIA came back negative. (This would be a relapse I was originally diagnosed with PCR in the ER)

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: EIA Test

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 am

It can be a false negative, but if you think it is, ask your doctor if you can test again.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:47 am

It depends what you mean by "symptoms".
If PCR is positive and EIA is negative and you don't have frequant watery D then it's possibly one of many C. Diff types that do not need treating.

mjc225
Brand New Poster

Postby mjc225 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi - thanks for the responses. I should have clarified - I tested positive months ago with a PCR in the hospital. I am pretty sure I am having a relapse now with water diarrhea for 2 days and bad abdominal cramping. My doctor only does the EIA test for some reason and that keeps coming back negative, so I’m worried it’s a false negative since I’m having symptoms. Trying to avoid the ER, but not sure how much longer I should wait because I’m pregnant…

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”