over the counter cold meds

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

over the counter cold meds

Postby Lissaucd » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:35 pm

Hello there! My entire family has a cold- scratchy throat, cough, post nasal drip etc. (not covid) Can I take Cold medicine? If there is even a small chance of causing c diff, I don’t want to chance it. I was thinking about taking Zarbees ( I give to my daughter) for cold and mucus since it’s all natural. I did take Flonase the other night and it helped so much. But then… my stool was looser, freaked me out (could have been from my time of month) but of course, I stopped taking it. My stool is still a looser/weird. I’ve been healing since stopping all the probiotics- I’m one of those that can’t take probiotics apparently.

Why does antibiotics cause c diff but OTC meds doesn’t? Is it simply bc the antibiotics kill bacteria only? Just want to make sure I understand this right beforr I start looking on “Doctor google.”

Thanks again for all the help! Hope everyone had a great holiday!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: over the counter cold meds

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:54 am

Yes, antibiotics kill bacteria and OTC meds don't although there are some supplements that can alter your gut bacteria. Flonase would not cause loose stools as far as I know. It basically stays in your nasal passages I was told by ENT. Some of those cold supplements can give upset stomach, but they would not cause c difficile.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:39 am

Thank you beth! I just took my Flonase again. I’m coughing up green mucus and have a nasty cough. I’m going to do a covid test tomorrow just to double check. My dad is sick also Ans he just tested negative. The green mucus is freaking me out that it may be bacterial… needing antibiotics. But I know many viruses can cause green mucus when coughing. Fingers crossed. If you have any advice for treatment let me know!

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:38 pm

You need to be seen by a doctor to avoid pneumonia if you have a green mucus cough, it sounds serious, a doctor told me that it will not be possible for us to avoid antibiotics during our whole life since the antibiotics are life saving medicine first of all, the fact that we had the bad luck to contract cdiff does not change the antibiotic main function ... So better check with a doctor and make the Covid test including for the current Omicron strain as soon as possible since the respiratory infections are progressing quickly without treatment.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 pm

Thanks for the info- I’m feeling better- just the cough but a lot of friends and family have it too. My friends daughter has it and the doc told her it will just take time. I did test again negative for covid. Not coughing as much, just at night! This all happened after my cold ended which can be common. Thanks again everyone!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 pm

My doctors have told me before that green phlegm is not always an indication of bacterial infection. I have had it and it was viral. You can always request to do a culture on the sputum if it doesn't improve to see what bacteria it is. If there is none, it will come back as normal flora. I had it test with something once that needed antibiotics, but at least the doctor knew what it was and could treat with an appropriate medication. But, often it doesn't need treating. Call your doctor if it continues and does not seem to be improving.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”